Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:55 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

THEORETICAL engine swap

Old 11-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Default THEORETICAL engine swap

I dont have any plans to do it BUT...could the 3.0L in the02-03 camry be swapped out to use the 3.3L from the 04-06? I realize that the tranny would need to be adjusted or swapped out entirely and the computer updating or replacing - but would it fit? I dont recall seeing any changes made to the engine bay that would prohibit this....again purely theoretical question, but one I have been throwing around in some of the extra space in my noggin

Old 12-01-2007, 01:28 AM
Default RE: THEORETICAL engine swap

There's a guy in socal who's shoved that 3.3 into a gen4. So if that's possible- then urs isn't too far out of reach. - if you have the money/connection for custom parts cuz das where most people get hammered.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:00 PM

Jebus....whats he doing running everything else out of his trunk? My 3.0 looks a little large for the bay, I cant imagine what he had to do to get the engine squeezed intoa gen 4- too much money perhaps?

Old 12-02-2007, 02:27 AM

LOL probably.. but then again- there are LS1 Miatas and Civics. LOL

i've actaully thought about swapping as well- but the cost of anything other than a 1MZ is just waaay out of reach. So; i'm thinkin about making a fully built late (meaning w/VVTi)1MZ @ 15-18PSI of boost maybe even more! Because a stock 4psi s/c 1mz w/ 5spd. would probably be doing 205-210 to the wheel. So @ 10-12PSI.. it'd be a beast. 15+PSI would just run **** off the road.

LOL. Cant wait to see the looks on rice rocket drivers here in my area- those things spread faster than ebola after fast and furious came out.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:31 PM

gah...waaaay more money than sense...an LS1 in a civic....Ive been looking around for possible superchargers myself - just to get an idea....my stock 3.0 has taken quite a few civics and crx's (they just never learn and a few other V6 cars (i think they just didnt want to push it,but i figure if your gonna go some...might as well go all)but to add a supercharger would let me manhandle most of the V8s around here *evil thoughts* oh well....2k is a bit more than i want to spend on a daily driver....but oh what fun I could have....

Old 12-02-2007, 04:41 PM

if you're running auto- do a 5spd. swap and it'll free up the 10-12% of power lost in the torque converter in an auto tranny. This way- you have the ability to down shift and better control of the power. MORE FUN!

Old 12-03-2007, 08:03 AM

Yea, but I like not having to shift lol. I can drive a stick if I have to, but since my "main" cars have all been auto, I am not as good as I should be - just need the stick time. Unfortunately my father's'87 camry (5spd) was just totaled over the weekend (lady ran a red-light and almost took the front end off the car - everyone was ok though thankfully) so the only access I had to amanual tranny car is gone.I had heard somewhere that you can upgrade the torque converter to allow more of that horsepower to shine through. I am afraid my knowledge about this particular piece of equipment is a little lacking, I dont really know how this works so I dont know how it could be upgraded. Would somthing like that be a worthwhile consideration? Or was this just someone talking out their rear?

Old 12-03-2007, 11:38 AM

you'd be looking at a fully built A/T transmission. Ridiculous amount of money invested with little control over the power. Driving a stick makes a lot of people think twice but once you get used to it.. its tons more you can do with it and it becomes second nature.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:14 AM

youtube geo metro lt1... yeah, any thing is possible the question is how much money are you willing to spend.

Also from what I have heard there are major wiring issues involved with that swap and engine management is absolutley retarded on it. Not to mention, you have to move everything to trunk like said above plus cut huge notch in firewall and fenders. turbo 3.0 is alot easier than n/a 3.3 then again nothing easy about custom turbo install when lack of space is already an issue