Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Transmision question CAMRY 97

Old 10-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Default Transmision question CAMRY 97

Hello guys this is my first post here but anyway. I started driving my wife's camry 97 V6. It is wonderful car with great condition and 105k on the clock and it is all highway. I realized that when I press on gas gently so the car goes up to 15 miles per hour I can feel the lagging, almost like there is not enough gas and starts poofing. it is very minimal but noticeable When you press on gas harder you cant notice it.Once in a while we get engine check light but most of the time it is off. Do you think transmition may have a problem?? I don't think that transmition has been ever cleaned, or it might be cables or dirty tubes. Let me know what you think.

Thank You

Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Transmision question CAMRY 97

Although the trans may not be the problem, if the fluid has never been changed suggest doing so now. The fluid should be red or reddish not black. Does it shift OK?

Does the car have a tach, if so when you press on the gas does the RPM rise but the car not go faster? As if the trans is slipping.

Of does the engine lug, the RPM and MPH both slowly rise together?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:16 AM

It has no problem with acceleration or shifting, everything seems working smooth other than that little thing I mentioned. Thanks

Old 10-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Could be many things.

If just a flat spot in acceleration could be the throttle possition sensor.

Can you define "Poofing?"

Old 10-16-2008, 01:54 PM

I drove it again and payed attention to this. Forget about poofing. I guess it would exaggerate it a little bit. it almost feels like you would hold on gas and let it go a little bit and again pressed on gas again. It is very minimal though but it seems like on reverse gear it does the same thing

Search this Thread