General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Fuel Over-flow valve"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 02:09 AM
Default "Fuel Over-flow valve"?

Hi my parents bought a toyota camry in April 2002. I recently borrowed their car and filled it up with petrol and noticed that the car was leaking fuel afterwards. I told my dad and he advised me that he has already spoken to the dealer who advised that the camry has a fuel overflow valve as a safety feature incase you overfill the petrol tank it will leak out the excess petrol. Is this correct has anyone heard this before? I'm worried that if we fill up the tank and the "overflow valve" takes over and leaks petrol out the bottom of the car and something happens and there is a spark then the car will blow up?

ive asked a few friends who know a bit about cars and no one has ever heard of a "fuel overflow valve". is toyota taking my dad for a ride with this made up "safety feature"? if so i need some proof so my dad can take it back to toyota again and get them to fix it this time instead of giving us another bullsh*t story. please someone help us with any advice. THanks.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: "Fuel Over-flow valve"?

There is a fuel overflow valve how ever its not supposed to leak out it usually leaks into the charcol canister. Well thats where its supposed to go then the evap system sends it to the enigne to be burned off eventually.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 AM

You may get knowledge on this after reading my post
Overflow Valve Description

The overflow valve is located on the side of the Bosch VP44 injection pump. It is also used to connect the fuel return line (banjo fitting) to the Bosch VP44 injection pump.

Overflow Valve Operation

Fuel volume from the fuel transfer (lift) pump will always provide more fuel than the fuel injection pump requires. The overflow valve (a check valve) is used to route excess fuel through the fuel return line and back to the fuel tank. Approximately 70% of supplied fuel is returned to the fuel tank. The valve opens at approximately 97 kPa (14 psi). If the check valve within the assembly is sticking open, fuel drainage of the Bosch VP44 injection pump could cause hard starting. If a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been stored for “P0168 decreased engine performance due to high injection pump fuel temperature”, the overflow valve may be stuck in closed position.

You may get knowledge on this after reading my post
Overflow Valve Description

The overflow valve is located on the side of the Bosch VP44 injection pump. It is also used to connect the fuel return line (banjo fitting) to the Bosch VP44 injection pump.

Overflow Valve Operation

Fuel volume from the fuel transfer (lift) pump will always provide more fuel than the fuel injection pump requires. The overflow valve (a check valve) is used to route excess fuel through the fuel return line and back to the fuel tank. Approximately 70% of supplied fuel is returned to the fuel tank. The valve opens at approximately 97 kPa (14 psi). If the check valve within the assembly is sticking open, fuel drainage of the Bosch VP44 injection pump could cause hard starting. If a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has been stored for “P0168 decreased engine performance due to high injection pump fuel temperature”, the overflow valve may be stuck in closed position.

ECU Chips