General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 camry won't run

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 10:36 PM
Default 97 camry won't run

My daughter tried jump starting another car with hers. Now her car won't go. I can jump start it, and it will idle, rev up ect, but will only drive a short distance before dying. I also noticed when I turn the headlights on the speedometer jumps and the lights flicker a few times. Everything else seems normal but no matter how long I let it run it dies after a several yards of driving and has to be jumped again. I'm thinking alternator, any other suggestions?

Last edited by predsd; 02-26-2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: wrong year
Old 02-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

It appears here the battery is damaged and can't take a charge, the alt is not working or both.

Is it possible that issues could have resulted from improper jumping of the battery? Such as reversing the jumper cables that could blow fuses? Disconnecting a battery cable when the engine was running or a surge in voltage during jumping resulting in damaged alternator (alt)?

Normally a dead and even bad battery can still function after jumping. The alt puts out enough amps to power circuits and the battery will still produce some output when the engine is at low idle as the alts output is not 100% until 2000 RPM.

If you have a volt meter check battery voltage engine off. a charged battery should be between 12.5 and 12.9 volts.

Then jump start the engine and check battery voltage engine at 2000 rpm. It should be between 13.5 and 15.1 volts +/-. If its the same voltage as the battery engine off, the alt is not working.

If you don't have a voltmeter. Start the engine and rev to 2000. Turn on headlights and other items to place a load on the alt. A working alt should be able to power these loads OK. If the engine starts to die with increased load, the alt has a problem.

A few other questions:

How does the engine idle? OK or want to quit and need to apply throttle?

When engine starts to quit when driving, does revving the engine prevent this or the engine applying more throttle does not help?

Old 02-26-2016, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
It appears here the battery is damaged and can't take a charge, the alt is not working or both.

Is it possible that issues could have resulted from improper jumping of the battery? Such as reversing the jumper cables that could blow fuses? Disconnecting a battery cable when the engine was running or a surge in voltage during jumping resulting in damaged alternator (alt)?

Normally a dead and even bad battery can still function after jumping. The alt puts out enough amps to power circuits and the battery will still produce some output when the engine is at low idle as the alts output is not 100% until 2000 RPM.

If you have a volt meter check battery voltage engine off. a charged battery should be between 12.5 and 12.9 volts.

Then jump start the engine and check battery voltage engine at 2000 rpm. It should be between 13.5 and 15.1 volts +/-. If its the same voltage as the battery engine off, the alt is not working.

If you don't have a voltmeter. Start the engine and rev to 2000. Turn on headlights and other items to place a load on the alt. A working alt should be able to power these loads OK. If the engine starts to die with increased load, the alt has a problem.

A few other questions:

How does the engine idle? OK or want to quit and need to apply throttle?

When engine starts to quit when driving, does revving the engine prevent this or the engine applying more throttle does not help?

I think it may have been the alt fuse. Not sure because I broke it trying to take it out, but after replacing everything seems fine. Will know for sure later tonight when I get a chance to drive it. Battery checked out ok. Havent had the alt checked yet.

Old 06-08-2022, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by predsd
I think it may have been the alt fuse. Not sure because I broke it trying to take it out, but after replacing everything seems fine. Will know for sure later tonight when I get a chance to drive it. Battery checked out ok. Havent had the alt checked yet.
did you ever figure it out because I’m having the same problem