General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

07 Camry oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

That's a good deal of oil loss. I assume the dealer checked for oil leaks?

Might also review posts at the Toyotanation website on this issue.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
That's a good deal of oil loss. I assume the dealer checked for oil leaks?

Might also review posts at the Toyotanation website on this issue.
Yea the first thing the technician asked about was if I had bottomed out somewhere and hit the oil pan. They checked and there were no leaks.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mgg4591
I have the same issue with my 2007 Camry Le. It was 2,500 miles and 2 months since my last oil change at the dealer. Just a few days ago the oil light was coming on an off. Checked the oil and the dip stick was bone dry. Brought it to the dealer and they said there was almost no oil in the engine. They did the change and told me to come back in a 1000 miles. The car has 28,500 miles on it.
I went through the oil consumption test and they ended up giviung me a new short block. They definitely know there is a problem with these engines, just make sure you press them on it.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Great! Perhaps Toyota is now owning up to this problem!

Apparently they did make some changes to the engine design because of this problem.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Great! Perhaps Toyota is now owning up to this problem!

Apparently they did make some changes to the engine design because of this problem.
I appreciate these responses. It is good to hear some people are getting help. Still doesn't help for those out of warrenty. After having my problem and reading the comments on this forum, I got curious about a co-worker who also has a 2007 camry. Guess what, she was having the same problem. She is also out of warrenty and is going through her compression tests. I am in the process of gathering all information I can and considering going to our attorney general.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 AM

I have the same problem with my car ..
But it seems that I could do nothing but ignoring it.

Wholesale glass beads

Last edited by ichliebe; 01-05-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:02 AM

I maintain and own a 2008 Camry with the 4 cylinder. I guess I am glad to see not too many '08's mentioned here. I change my own oil in everything (never trust another man with your drainplug). Looking at just over 50,000 miles and all seems well so far. I use Mobil 1 5w-20 because Wal-Mart sells it in the gallon jug and they only sell lthe Ow-20 by the quart - which means a good bit more money. I am still not convinced that this overall always thinner oil does not contribute to oil consumption. You buy oil to lubricate - right? And then you reduce its lubricity to satisfy the almighty EPA and its mandates (which will never consider the life of an engine).

Old 01-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

The 0W-20 has improved viscosity at lower engine temps. When the oil is warmed up it has the same viscosity as 20 weight oil

The differences between 0W-20 and 10W-20 are minimal.

No doubt the lower viscosity oil is in part used to gain MPG. Synthetics allow the manufacturer of the 0W oils. It appears 0W-20 is only available in synthetic, hence the higher price. Synthetic oil is much better for engine lubrication then mineral oils.

Toyota made some internal engine design changes to the 2AZ-FE in 2006 apparently to improve internal cooling.

Some owners have stated the owners manual has verbiage stating 1 quart per 1K miles is normal. Can any owners confirm this?

Personally I think there is a design flaw in these engines as too many have high oil consumption way too soon! The older engines, even those with aluminum blocks had "normal" consumption, not 2-4 quarts every 3K miles at 50-60K miles (or less).

Old 01-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Angry Oil Consumption

I have the same issue with the oil burning and I also went through the routine of getting my oil level checked every 1000 miles, which is very inconvenient. at 56K miles my car began burning excessive amounts of oil; approximately 1/2 to 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles, yet Toyota claims that it is within industry standards and the owners manual states that it is normal for the car to burn upto a quart of oil every 500 miles! Seems abnormal to me. I asked the Toyota rep to contact Corporate at least three times and they never get back to me on the response.

I intend to file a complaint with the BBB.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

The 1 quart per 1K miles was passed around when cars had V8's and inline 6 cylinders. There engines were not as sophisticated as today's engines, had much higher emissions, used a lot more fuel, etc.

There is no real industry standard, just some figure that has been bounced around as acceptable.

Is Toyota stated their newer products are not any better then what was made 30 years ago?

Wonder if there are any EPA regs or concerns about this. The burned oil needs to go somewhere, out the tailpipe and into the air. In the process it may harm the emissions cars system leading to the car being out of compliance with EPA regs.

Toyota seems to be stating this is acceptable.

Quick Reply: 07 Camry oil consumption