General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 Camry leaking vacuum diaphragm actuator oiler

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 04:56 AM
Default 1989 Camry leaking vacuum diaphragm actuator oiler

Hi,
New member here and have a bit of a challenge for any mechanics out there. So far no local mechanics in my area (I'm in Perth WA) have been able to solve this.

Vehicle: 1989 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder sedan.
Problem: The part as shown is leaking significant oil out (when engine running) from what appears to be a vent hole in the part as shown. Please refer to photos attached.

I have no idea what this part is or what it does. It appears to be some sort of diaphragm actuator from the vacuum system but not clear on what it is actually 'actuating'. It seems related to control of oil into the engine block perhaps. It is connected to the engine block in the location as shown circled in yellow.
I've searched the manual in vein. Only diaphragm actuators I could see related to the EGR system or cruise control but these are not related. As mentioned it seems related to oiling quantity control?

Any clues or advice on this would be appreciated. The part (I'm told) is not common and the mechanic I'm currently dealing with has said the vehicle is a throw-away because of this. I'm not convinced we're at white-flag waving stage yet.

Looking forward to any replies.
Thanks.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

?????

Does the car have 4 wheel drive?

Can you take a photo having a wider perspective of the area to show the actually engine?

Where does the other end of the vacuum hose that connects to this device go?

Old 05-19-2021, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
?????

Does the car have 4 wheel drive?

Can you take a photo having a wider perspective of the area to show the actually engine?

Where does the other end of the vacuum hose that connects to this device go?
So just to be clear, this the Australian version of the 1989 Camry sedan. Further details:
Model: SV20R-EPBLA
Engine: 1S-CI
Trans: A140L
Date: 05/89

As requested, attached are some more photos showing the detached vacuum hose to the part as well as a wider angle view of the engine.

Appreciate any thoughts on what this vacuum actuator part might be.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

The actuator has a shaft with an end fitting having a hole in it. Is there a valve still inside the engine that might connect to the fitting?

If possible look into the hole for the actuator for signs of passages in the block as in why have a valve if no passages for a valve to control flow.

The actuator needs to be held into the block someway? If the hole in the actuated is threaded, a bolt may install into the threads through the hole in top of the flange on the block. The seal on the actuator rod may be leaking and causing oil to into the housing. Not sure what the fix is, if any for the this leak.

The engine appears to have been used in cars built for China, Australia (and maybe Russia). US cars had a 3SFE engine. This could be the reason mechanics are stating it's oddball.

If it helps it appears the 1S-CI was also known as 1S-iL 1S-iLU; 1S-i. The "C" means central injection.

Might contact Australian Toyota forums such as the ones below.

https://www.toymods.org.au

https://au.toyotaownersclub.com