General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 Camry 5sfe vibration in gear at idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 05:20 PM
Default 1992 Camry 5sfe vibration in gear at idle

Have a recently acquired 92 2.2 Camry 5sfe that has only 54,000 . Replaced numerous seals,timing belt , plugs, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket ...etc etc. am very happy with vehicle running. However ,recently changed out the dog bone and front engine mount ( beck arnley ) from Rock auto and now the vibration while stopped in gear ( like at a stop sign) seems more than before. It was slight so I thought that would eliminate it but it seems even more than before. I've cleaned the throttle body etc and it runs smooth just the problem as stated. Should I try replacing the last two mounts - rear and trans? The idle seems a little low at stop could that be the tps? I've tried cleaning the IAC but maybe not thorough enough... Sorry if not too clear but if the vibration could be eliminated th car runs excellent? Any ideas or help appreciated.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:10 PM

5sfe dont normally vibrate that badly

make sure idle is correct

the coil packs can give a weak spark causing a vibration

check list
TPS
IAC clean again

replace the other engine mounts if sagging / oil soaked..if you are sure that will fix the vibration issue

Last edited by dirty hands; 12-26-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:55 AM

For what it's worth - been busy with holiday and haven't cleaned IAC again, but when I first start up the car and for several miles (until it's up to temperature) the idle seems not to shake at a stop when it's stays around 1000 rpm. After driving a little distance the car then drops Rpms at idle when stopped and in gear to around 700 +/- and is vibrating a lot...if this makes sense?

Old 12-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Was the front mount the same design as replacement? There are hydraulic and solid front mounts offered.

Any loads on the engine such as AC, lights, heater blower, etc?

Old 12-24-2015, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Was the front mount the same design as replacement? There are hydraulic and solid front mounts offered.

Any loads on the engine such as AC, lights, heater blower, etc?
It is a beck arnley hydraulic. It appears identical to the oem when I replaced it. No- it vibrates at a stop when in gear with the brakes on. No load. And only after warming up and the Rpms
Going under about 900...

Old 12-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

The lower the idle RPM the more the engine will vibrate although the engine should not be moving around.

There is also the degree of vibration. I never feel any vibration unless the engine is loaded via the alternator from headlights, radiator fans, wiper and the A/C compressor is running.

If the engine is running normally, it could be the new mount is slightly different then the OEM mount. You might swap in the old mount and determine if this changes anything.

The rear mount is also hydraulic, the trans mount is solid.

Also read the info on the similar posts below on rough idle.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:16 PM

Cleaned the IAC throughly today. Made no difference. I guess will try and clean the egr and check out the ignition coil.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

EGR should be off at idle.

The coolant temp for the computer can cause issues. If you have service info check the ohm reading coolant cold and hot then compare to the chart.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:46 PM

I did replace the etc a month or so ago. However I will check the reading on the new sensor...was going to change/clean the egr but the design makes it very difficult to remove the 1 inch nuts that are rusted on....still very distinct vibration while stopped in gear ...

Old 12-29-2015, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

For the ETC.

At 32F resistance should be approx 7K ohms.
@ 68F 2.7K ohms.
@ 176F 0.38K

You just want to make sure the EGR sytem is off and EGR valve closed. Find the small vacuum hose going from the EGR valve to the modulator valve and remove it from one or the other unit. This will remove an vacuum (should be zero at idle) and turn off the system.

Or there could not an engine problem but just mount issues.

Quick Reply: 1992 Camry 5sfe vibration in gear at idle