General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 Camry 5sfe vibration in gear at idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 06:28 PM

Hoping to check resistance in Ect tomorrow. Check out egr. For what it's worth, seems like initially the idle is smoother and no vibration when engine is cold then upon heating up the vibration picks up and the idle stumbles at stop in gear.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:18 PM

The Ect resistance seems to check out. Haven't checked the tps...hoping to find out soon. It doesn't. Happen when the vehicle is not up to temperature as there's really no vibration with a little higher idle rpm ( approx 1100). Then when temp gauge goes to around operating temp the vibration and shaking in gear with brake on at stop occurs.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Your problem is common and to some extent normal.

Do a search at this website (see posts listed in similar threads section below Quick Reply area). Plus at the Toyotanation website which will have numerous posts on this subject and suggestions.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:01 PM

I did replace the ECT and seems like no difference. next, I'll pull the ignition coil and check that I guess. I had replaced all spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Upon checking the rotor ( about 600 miles ago replaced)- it seems burnt in the middle of the rotor. I replaced that and no difference?
Getting a bit frustrated- when I pull out the distributor to disconnect the ignition coil- is there anything special other than marking the cap etc to the engine? Not sure if I have to have it on TDC ( #1 cylinder) when I pull it.? Does it matter the direction of the rotor when pulling it out?
Sorry for so many questions but this shaking in gear when stopped and car in gear is getting old...I had replaced the front motor mount and dogbone...next I guess is the rear and trans mount too...any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:18 PM

Just out driving and discovered when I was at a traffic light , temporarily put car in park with foot on brake and when I turned the steering wheel the Rpms went up to about 950+/- and vibration really subsided a lot. Any ideas?

Old 01-09-2016, 12:15 PM

At last some great news- pulled the distributor so I could change the ignition coil and that gave an easy path to get to the lower nut on the egr tube...so I pulled that and there was a big chunk of carbon build up at the egr entry on top. Cleaned it pretty well, replaced the gasket along with the new ignition coil and it appears to have solved the issue. Thank you for any responses and hope this might help someone else.
Removing the distributor made removing the lower egr tube nut to the motor very easy.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:57 PM

Should of listened to people on this forum as to using oem motor mounts. I replaced the front motor mount with a beck arnley and the dog bone with the same brand. I replaced the dog bone with an oem 4th generation torque strut and a significant difference ! I don't give much advice but definitely recommend oem mounts and will probably replace the front mount with oem even though it only has 1,000 on it... Oem is the way to go- I ordered what I thought were good beck arnley mounts but was wrong...

Old 03-01-2022, 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=1992camry;91798]Have a recently acquired 92 2.2 Camry 5sfe that has only 54,000 . Replaced numerous seals,timing belt , plugs, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket ...etc etc. am very happy with vehicle running. However ,recently changed out the dog bone and front engine mount ( beck arnley ) from Rock auto and now the vibration while stopped in gear ( like at a stop sign) seems more than before. It was slight so I thought that would eliminate it but it seems even more than before. I've cleaned the throttle body etc and it runs smooth just the problem as stated. Should I try replacing the last two mounts - rear and trans? The idle seems a little low at stop could that be the tps? I've tried cleaning the IAC but maybe not thorough enough... Sorry if not too clear but if the vibration could be eliminated th car runs excellent? Any ideas or help appreciated.[ Check that ur injectors are connected properly coz it vibrates if one is not connected properly, it will send spark in the cylinder and air but no fuel

Old 03-01-2022, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

What is the idle speed? The lower the idle speed, the more vibration.

Toyota may have used two different design lower engine mounts, hydraulic and solid. Did you replace the lower mount with the same design?

Upper mount is solid