General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 Toyota Camry 3 liter Smokes after head-gasket change

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
all it takes is not having mating surfaces for the gasket clean or straight, and it starts leaking thereafter. in old gasket, pores are plugged with crud and dirt. you moved it - there you go.
normally - both engine block and heads mating surfaces should be machined to smooth, straight surfaces. heads do warp, you know.
white smoke is coolant leaking, on my books. grey is oil, black is unburnt fuel. do you actually drive her, or simply started and it smoked? a lot of coolant goes into many holes, and cylinders, during such jobs. you leave, eg, coolant in bolt holes, put bolts back in, engine warms up - boom, coolant rips block in that area, as it evaporates.
Thank you for your response. I did run it for quite a while, about an hour, giving it a few revs. I also took it on a short drive, but just on local streets. But I've done a # of head-gaskets, & have never had this much residual coolant in the system.
The head was resurfaced the 1st time I replaced it. I've never had to resurface a cast iron block before. Although I have heard of it, I've also heard that warpage of a cast iron block is pretty rare. The machine shop tells me that in order to resurface the block, the entire engine needs to be removed from the car & stripped down, I know is not normal procedure for a head gasket. But I did make sure, especially the 2nd time, that the block surface was clean.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Would appear the low compression and leaking coolant are from the same issue but never know.

If the head is still on the engine rotate crank by hand and check for normal valve operation.

Make sure the intake manifold is still mating correctly with the head. Resurfacing the head changes the geometry slightly between manifold and head.

Use a straight edge to check for a warped head or block surface.

Check the head and block for obviously cracks.

Determine if a belt sander was used to surface the head and not a mill type surfacing machining.

Make sure the block and head mating surfaces are free of oil, grease and corrosion.

Review your torquing procedures.

Check the head bolts for excess stretching.

From the lack of compression standpoint when head is off check for proper valve seating.

If the valve guides were replaced make sure they are installed correctly.