General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Camry starts briefly and then shutdowns.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Default 1993 Camry starts briefly and then shutdowns.

The previous owner of this car spent a ton of money trying to diagnose why his 1993 Camry would start for just a moment and then shutdown. Sometimes he could drive it a little ways and then it would shutdown. Fuel pump is hot and working. Fuel filter has been replaced and the line is not plugged. The one odd thing the car does when I try to start it, is it will briefly start up, but then if I want to repeat this process, I cannot simply turn the key to turn it over again, I have to turn it all the way back to original position and then turn it to start and it will then try to start again.

Odd, Just odd.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

When engine model?

If the engine quits, you state you need to turn ign key off then back to start or what happens?

When engine starts and quits, have you checked for 12v power at ign system, injectors, etc?

Any difference if you apply throttle in keeping engine running?

The fuel pump will only run when engine trying to start or running.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:54 PM

Sigh. I am sorry I never got back to you.

2.2l 16 valve
5 spd

I have done a lot of testing. when you say testing for 12v pwr at ign system, you mean testing whatever wire that is the pwr at the plug right? I have done that. I have not checked at the injectors.

Today I put on a remanned distributor. The engine doesn't even try to fire at all now. It originally would just do a little sputter and shut off. Then I would have to turn the key completely back to the off position and then when I try to start it, the started just continuously turns with no engine activity. Applying throttle is useless as the car doesn't even get to that point.

Somebody did install an aftermarket cruise control system on the car. I removed it today and reconnected the original wiring connections but I did not solder them yet. However, the car will not even sputter as if the engine wants to start and the starter just keeps kicking over. I have checked all the fuses. I have tampered with the idea that it is the computer. Alot of clicking going on near the passenger kick panel which is removed.

Is the fuel delivery drowning the car you think? I'll check the injectors next chance I get. Any idea where I can find a free wiring diagram to chase these wires down?

Old 08-05-2014, 03:00 PM

Another thing that is weird is that the tach has not budged at all during this time. Also, I have checked the code and it spits out a 14 which is ign signal failure. It spits the code out without the diagnostics being jumpered under the hood if that makes a difference.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

After dist install you checked for spark?

Remove kick panel to access a few items and try to find the one that is clicking.

Code be bad ign igniter, bad coil (check for cracked case and do ohm test), bad wiring.

If you have good spark (1/2 inch and white color), jump B+ and FP terminals in diagnostic box to allow FP to run when ign switch on. FP will normally only run when engine cranking, then when cranking stops but engine running (these are two different circuits).

Last edited by toyomoho; 08-05-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:09 AM

No spark.

Igniter and coil are new.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

The ign have a remote coil or the coil built into distributor.

Ign on, check for 12V at white/red wire to coil (or dist).

Old 08-08-2014, 09:14 AM

There is no power to the dist.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Is the coil built into the distributor or by itself?

Check AM2 fuse.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:48 AM

It is built in.

Quick Reply: 1993 Camry starts briefly and then shutdowns.