General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1995 Camry Le stalls after warm up, rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Default 1995 Camry Le stalls after warm up, rough idle

Hi all i read the forums here from time to time. Its great. I just came upon a huge problem that blindsighted me. I am usually ahead of my 1995 Camry Le maintenance schedule. Im the 3 rd owner that pampers my ride. My vehicle has 239K miles on it. Recently it has stalled while started. (within 30 secs), I simply restarted it and she worked fine. Well the problem grew worse over the last couple of weeks.
The car would not start! after driving, and parking the vehicle for gas! Battery is new, Cable to battery was fine, light and starter worked, but she just would start. I turn the key and she was turning, but no. It finally worked after sitting ther, The weather that day was really cold, 33F misty outside.

The car finally started and i quickly drove her to the mechanics station whicjh was conveinetly located across the street.
I opened the hood and looked at what I could in the dark, I saw nothing out of the ordinary. I puled the plugs and pressed them in- nothing. Needless to say I left the car at this mom and pop shop.

Long story short , They could not fix her, They were dumbfounded , or lost hope, they basicly said to take it to the dealer!
Luckily they didnt charge me ( I know a lot for not being a mechanic!, and I reminded them of that)
They told me that the car starts, but now is stalling after 15 minutes<, at one time the start up idle had really high RPMS...hmmm

NOw this is what they did( suposedley):

check the battery
pulled the spark plugs, and the gaps were in acceptable limits
wires and distributor were recent, they said ( 2006) it was fine.
They said it was not the IAC valve( I dont know if they checked it, they couldnt give me a staright answer, after telling them to clean the part, they siad it was "unlikely"

so I ended up towing the vehicle to Carmax in Laurel Maryland. They wont look at it until Monday, luckily my roomate is letting me drive his car for work.

I am wondering who has experinced this with their 95 Camry?
what are the solutions? any experienced mechanics see this before?

My goal is to make her run till 2011, before investing in an other Camry.

Help!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Default RE: 1995 Camry Le stalls after warm up, rough idle

4 or 6 cylinder? Does this happen when car is cold or warm or both? Does it stall at speed or just at idle? Open or sticking EGR will cause engine to stall at idle as that induces a large vacuum leak. Have you ever removed and cleaned the EGR?

Old 01-11-2009, 05:55 PM

4 CYLINDER BOTH WARM AND COLD, FINALLY TODAY THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. SO I HOPE THE CODES THEY CAN PULL WILL HELP. It stalls at idle speed, not sure if it would do it in drive though. I dont think the EGR has ever been serviced.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:33 PM

Ok, I got my car back from the dealer and these are the results.

They pulled codes and found these 2 problems:
a broken thermal evaporating valve( one of the nipples were snapped off)
and a Throttle position sensor.

They called me back and said to replace these, I asked, will this fix the problem?
they said most likely..............right.

well it didnt work so the next problem was wire plugs were cracked.............
I said fix it, ( I had their rental and went to Atlantic City..............)

they called me the next day and said, nope, didnt work, its the coil!!!
I argued and finally granted them this last job before turning me vehicle over( and then their world would of been really BAD..shhh)

anywho the next day they called and said," it's all done, it will be $656.27"

I paid and my car dooesnt stall at start up anymore.
They suggest to change the following as well:
Distributor rotor, and spark plugs.
valve cover gasket( yes it needs it)

so I hope this helps out someone out there, mabey ill save you extra cash.
Good luck, Ilove my Camry, Yeah I have the money to spend on her, If I knew more about certain mechanics, i wuld do it myself.
other than that thats what these Forums are for ... RIGHT?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:24 AM

Usually bad coil shows spark/no start. Engine heat does increase resistance in coil but that would be at start-upas well as ldle and shouldnot have shown up when engine cold - if that was the problem. Coils on these Camrys seem to be a persistant problem though and difficult to diagnose for DIYers. Can't say coil or not but what if they found an innocent problem after replacing the coil but did not divulge? Getting the old part back could have allowed you some additional testing. Anyway you pays your money and takes your chances - glad you're on the road.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:37 PM

Thanks , im so happy shes on the road, where IS the "coil"?
I looked but couldn't find it.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:35 PM

Inside the distributor.