General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Default 1996 starting issues

Hi, new here. So before we waste yet more money maybe someone can help me?

96 Camry LE 4cyl.

At 1st would not start without giving it gas & revving engine. 1st mechanic replaced timing belt, spark plugs & battery. He said the timing belt was loose & it did appear it was & the spark plugs were indead shot & battery old. Replaced air filter as well.

Did not help problem. Was told, just give it gas, she's a good car.

2nd mechanic, fresh pair of eyes, said he couldn't find anything, but could try replacing the starter, that sometimes even though it looks fine, it may not be. Right.... (This was a mobile mechanic, did not have a scanner)

New starter did not fix problem.

3rd mobile mechanic did have a scanner & said it was the TPS sensor. The check engine light came on that morning. We thought this was it. He replaced the sensor & cleaned the throttle body.

This time it was starting without gas (yay!), but it either acted like it wanted to stall or actually did stall. Then, once it leveled out, if it managed to start, it idled way too high at 1500 rpm. The same mechanic said to adjust the TPS sensor. He did that & it was idling much better, though it did not help the sluggish, rough start.

He replaced the throttle body with one from a pull apart yard with less miles.

The car was starting without fail now, BUT I did not like the way it sounded. Rough, slow still.

Mechanic came back & adjusted the Minimum base idle.

Today, it is started better than ever, BUT I personally still felt like it was a bit slow & shaky. It is idling perfect now & is very quite.

Yesterday when I drove it, at 60mph & at 2500 rpm, I felt a single engine surge/buck/jolt/jump.

It hasn't happened since.

I need this car to be solid as I will be starting a job that is 20 miles away.

I wanted the fuel pressure to be checked. Nobody agreed with me.

Any suggestions where to turn next or any questions for me?

Help!!

Thank you, Thank you to anyone who responds!!!!

Last edited by kris0823; 03-12-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-12-2014, 12:14 PM

I should add: Ignition was tested & fine. No white smoke from exhaust, no vacuum leaks & no evidence of impending head gasket demise, per everyone who we have seen, including my father.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Your car is getting up there in age so has the fuel filter been changed? I wonder if the car is getting a little starved.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:15 AM

I forgot about that. Yes. The fuel filter was changed. We plan to bring it to Toyota today. Though there are no lights on in the car & was told all sensors were fine, Toyota mentioned Mass air flow sensor, & Idle Air control sensor. That maybe the wires are dirty?

IDK. Just have spent so much money so far. Was trying to avoid high dealership repair costs, but I need this car & have invested too much into it.

Starved? Meaning she is at the end of her days? Car euthanasia? HaHa

She has 143,000 miles BTW.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:34 AM

I started the car this morning. Today in Georgia is the coldest morning in several days.

The car would not start without giving it gas once again. I can start it, but I have to rev the engine to 2000 for a few moments, then down to 1500, then hold it there for a few more seconds, then let go & it idled beautifully.

Could it be the fuel pump even though the car is running? Afraid of how expensive the dealer can get.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

How cold was the air temp?

The idle system has a coolant temp sensor. Typically if cold the idle will be around 1500 rpm the drop to 800-850. If idle gets to low engine will shake.

One concern is there is no mechanical idle adjustment, this is the computers job. There is a screw to adjust how far the throttle plate is open but this is set at the factory.

The engine idle is controlled by the IAC valve which varies the amount of air bypassing the throttle plates. It has an electric motor operated by the computer. The valve can get dirty and stick. The internet should have info on "cleaning IAC valve 5SFE engine".

MAP sensor seldom fails.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:27 AM

Well, he did something to reset the idle by closing the valve, shutting car off & letting cool & then restarting? Something to that effect.

I will ask Toyota about the IAC valve & cleaning it. Thanks.

We are leaving it there so it can be there for them on a cold start. Suppose to be cold again tomorrow. It was in the 20's this a.m.

Knowing my luck, the thing will fire right up & I will look like a looney tune!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Please post back with dealer response.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 PM

You are right! They called me this evening with a diagnosis of a faulty Idle Air control valve. Not dirty. It is just plain malfunctioning.

They quoted $575 to fix. They were awesome @ Toyota, but too much money....

We are buying the part on our own & having my Dad give it a shot. The part is only $150 including tax @ Autozone.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Wow! $575! Yeah, I would try to do it myself first. Keep us posted how it goes.

Quick Reply: 1996 starting issues