General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Camry V6 Engine is heating up

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 07:59 PM
Default 1998 Camry V6 Engine is heating up

Hello All,
I do have a 1998 Camry V6 3.0 Engine. In 2021 I replaced Thermostat and ECT sensor along with the radiator fluid. Later It developed the heating issue. When I drive the car, the engine reaches regular temperature after some time. When I turned on the A/C, it works well for the first 15 or 20 minutes. Later the engine temperature is going up above the normal threshold. Sometimes the fans are not running when I turn off the A/C. To mitigate this issue I flushed the radiator fluid twice. Still, there is no luck. The mechanic doesn't have any idea about the whole system. He is saying the relays might be bad. I don't want to rely on his advice. I need your support to tackle this issue. I reviewed the below post. But I didn't get the proper info.
https://www.camryforums.com/forum/ge...problem-27613/
So I posted it again> Please guide me on how to solve this issue. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-21-2022, 04:14 AM

Just put in a pre-owned motor in a 98 Camry. New crankshaft belt, water siphon, and indoor regulator. Vehicle overheats in around 5 - 10 minutes of inactive. The top hose is hot however the hose close to the water siphon is cool, no water streaming through that hose. I put in 2 indoor regulators thinking one was terrible halting the water stream. I had a plan to eliminate the indoor regulator and bingo, water stream through all hoses. Heat out of the radiator. When I set the indoor regulator back in.. back to the first issues. I put every one of the indoor regulators in bubbling water and they generally opened. Something is halting the water stream and its making me bonkers. By the manner in which I introduced the indoor regulator spring side into the motor. Somebody help please.

snaptube vidmate

Old 05-21-2022, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Did the cars coolant system ever operate normally as in not overheat?

Do you have the brand and part number of the regulator?

The spring does go inside the motor.

Does the housing of this regulator have a small hole in to allow coolant to run through. If so orient the hole so that is at highest point. The hole allows air in the coolant system to escape and the air is above the liquid coolant.

Any chance the engine has a blown head gasket?

Old 06-24-2022, 07:52 PM

I will take the photos tomorrow and post them here.Right now the problem still exists.

Old 06-24-2022, 07:55 PM

Old 06-24-2022, 08:43 PM

Today the engine is heated up again. When I stopped opened the front hood and saw the coolant reservoir is filled up above the max level. I am thinking some debris is blocking the reservoir channel while I am driving. But its not happening regularly and is happening intermittently. The mechanic who did the mess have no clue about it. I figure it he is going to ruin the whole engine. So I badly need help from you guys. Thanks in advance.

With Regards
Supersry

Old 06-24-2022, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Have you had a compression test done?
Does the coolant overflow/reservoir ever overflow?

Old 06-25-2022, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

If you think its a blown head gasket have the mechanic do a "block test:" to check for exhaust gas in the coolant.

When the temp gauge needle is as shown in your photo (above normal temp) are the coolant fans operating at engine idle? If not turn on the AC, The fans should cycle on/off with the AC compressor cycling on/off.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
If you think its a blown head gasket have the mechanic do a "block test:" to check for exhaust gas in the coolant.

When the temp gauge needle is as shown in your photo (above normal temp) are the coolant fans operating at engine idle? If not turn on the AC, The fans should cycle on/off with the AC compressor cycling on/off.
The coolant fans are on and off when the A/C turns ON and OFF. This issue is happening very rarely. I think due to some blockage the coolant is not flowing properly and at the same time, the coolant tank is overfilling.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Patonium
Have you had a compression test done?
Does the coolant overflow/reservoir ever overflow?
Compression Test: Not done
Reservoir Overflow: It flowed recently.

Quick Reply: 1998 Camry V6 Engine is heating up