General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Camry will not shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Default 1999 Camry will not shift

So today I went to the grocery, and upon attempting to return home I started my car (which started fine, no problems there), and went to put it into drive. The shifter is completely loose, and seemingly will not shift out of park.

I was told by the person who towed me that it was likely a connection issue, as he also showed me how to literally manually shift the gears by reaching under the hood (which was of course the only way we could get my car parked near my residence).

If that is in fact the issue, I was just wondering if it is a problem that I am able to fix myself, given the proper tools, or if I will need a professional to do it.

If that explanation wasn't clear enough I can try to give more information, but any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and happy holidays!

Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

There is a cable running from the shift column in the car to the shift arm on the trans. When you move the shift column the arm on the trans move accordingly.

Have someone move the shift column in the car while you watch the trans shift arm and the end of the cable that should attach to the arm. Determine if the cable or cable end fitting that attaches to the shift arm on the trans has broken.

If the cable has broken it can be replaced. These days there might be an after market source for the cable (or try a junk yard) if not then its Toyota dealer only. In this case it will an expensive part.

Other Camry owners have managed to replace the cable themselves. The Autozone website might have some info on how to do this.