General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Camry hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:38 PM
Default 2000 Camry hard to start

I've been having an ongoing and worsening problem with a 2000 Camry LE V6 that I inherited from an uncle. For the most part it is a good car, but it hates to start, especially when cold. Some mornings it's a fifteen minute ordeal to get the engine to catch. I'll crank and pump the gas for ten to fifteen good cranks before it catches at all, then it sputters and dies and the process starts all over again. Eventually it catches enough that I can keep it running with my foot on the gas and when it warms up in five to ten minutes it runs fine. Starting it warm is much easier, only a couple of good cranks required.

I've taken it to the shop and they have done tune-ups and replaced some valves and sensors (should ask my boyfriend what exactly was done to it), and starting it is easier, though it still takes a number of long cranks in the morning. They found nothing in particular wrong, and since it is mostly a problem on a cold engine, the most they noted is that is takes a few cranks to start even when warm. They said some cars are just harder to start than others. Not a great answer, but multiple mechanics have not been able to resolve the issue.

I guess I shouldn't complain, as it was a free car. Still, I don't want to get stranded somewhere on a trip. Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Don't pump that gas until the engine is starting. The car is fuel injected and pumping when cranking makes the situation worse.

Any trouble codes? What was replaced? Was the coolant temp sensor for the computer (ECT) replaced?

Could be the fuel pump/system is bleeding down pressure over night. Then the pump needs to bring it back up to have the injectors work properly.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:25 PM

Thanks toyomoho. The ECT sensor was replaced, as was the fuel pump a while ago. Some other sensors were replaced as well, but I can't remember which.

I tried to start the car this morning without pumping, and absolutely nothing happened but monotonous cranking despite a valiant effort of fifteen or twenty minutes. I was eventually able to get it started this afternoon, again with a lot of effort and pumping, and ran my errands. Warm starting, fortunately, is easy, requiring just 2-3 cranks before it catches.

At this point I'll just stick with what works (time and pumping), thankful for a free car that runs well once started. Just need to be sure to allow enough time in the morning. #notagetawaycar

Old 09-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Clean IAC valve.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:34 PM

I checked and the IAC valve was replaced in the last service, according to the mechanic I talked to this morning.

Unfortunately it's getting harder to start when warm now. I took the usual ten minutes or so this morning to get it going, then when I tried to start it after shopping for a few minutes, it took forever and serious pumping to fire it up.

Kinda at my wit's end. It runs just great once started, but this starting issue is trying my patience.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Any trouble codes?

What was replaced in total?

How about spark plugs, etc?

Has the MPG changed?