General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 camry V6 3.0 runs rough when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Smile 2000 camry V6 3.0 runs rough when cold

My 2000 camry was running fine until about a couple of weeks ago. When it's cold there seems to be a slight miss, it seems to go away when the car warms up. I took it in to Greg's and they suggested new coils and plugs,with no guaratee this would fix the problem. They said the ignition coil resistance was reading out of spec. I passed because they wanted almost $600 for that. I figured the coils and front plugs are east to replace but I haven't attempted getting to the rear plugs. (1,3,6). I have good mechanical skills and I need a little advice what are the best coils to buy and how hard are those rear plugs to get to. Also do these coils regularly need replacing? I did get one P302 code a few weeks ago. Cylinder 2 misfiring. I did replace that plug but the problem is still there. I have heard a misfire in plug 2 can actually be plug 1 failing. The car has about 145K and for the last 50k has been problem free. I replaced the timing belt about a year ago. Any advice or information about the coils and plugs will be helpful.

Thanks I am a newbie to this forum.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Each coil may have 2 plugs, cyl 1 may share the same coil as cyl 2.

Swap coils with another location and determine if the code follows the coil. Many autoparts stores will lend out a code reader or check codes for free skipping the auto repair shop.

To access the rear plugs requires removing parts. Your best bet may be Google. Changing the rear plugs is common enough there should be posts on how to. The engine model is a 1MZ-FE.

Most likely just one coil is bad, cyl 1 and 2. The code provided is cyl 2, the shop stated this coil had a resistance out of spec.

When were the plugs last changed? Should be good for 80-100K, read the owners manual for on recommended change.

For parts try rockauto.com. Great selection, great service. Or any auto parts store should have or be able to order a coil(s).

The AutoZone website should have info on repairing this engine, a 2000 1MZ-FE, in the sites vehicle repair guide section. It is a very common engine, used in many Toyota models.

Note: over the years this engines ign system has been revised from having a distributor to individual coils, if searching for info keep this in mind.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the info and reply, I do have a code reader, the problem is the check engine light only came on only once, a few weeks ago. I have thought about swapping the coils, maybe I'll just get one and use it on 1&2. The plugs are due for a change I just picked some up today, the good $10 dual coil NGK's. The plugs in back will be an adventure I'm sure. The thing about the coils I have seen them priced at 3 for $59 and 1 for $89, obviously the more expensive ones are probably better.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Check Rockauto prices.

Bosch has a coil at $14.58. Beck/Arnley also makes good part $54.79.

The computer takes a while to run its tests, thus if the problem is still there it may take some time to trip the light.

Might change the coil and front plugs for now. If the problem goes away schedule some time to replace the back plugs. There are a few post at the Toyotanation website on using a special tool or a number of swivel joints ganged together to get the plugs out without taking everything off. An internet search should also turn up hits on the special tool.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:53 PM

I took a look at those rear plugs today, it looks like it can be done but you're right a combination of wobblies and angles. I heard one thing you don't want to do is get your plug socket stuck back there. I think should be able to do it, but it might be an adventure. I have the day off Thursday so I'm going to try it then. I did order 3 Beck Arnley coils yesterday for 54.95 each from Rock Auto, Oreily's is selling the exact same one for almost a hundred bucks. Again thanks for your help, I will let you know the outcome.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:19 AM

I did all 6 plugs in my '01 camry last month. I had a persistant misfire due to the Bosch plugs previously installed. The rear 3 can all be done without removing any parts. My tools were a 3/8 universal joint, 6" extension and 3" extension and some patience...

Robert

Old 02-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Default Problem solved

I got around to changing the front plugs and the 3 coils last night, took it for a test ride and it was running great, no more miss. I must have had a bad coil, now I've got 3 new ones, I replaced the rear plugs this morning and it wasn't that bad. My Camry is purring like a kitten now. Thanks for the info on this forum, it instilled my confidence and saved me about $450 bucks by doing it myself.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Great, thanks for posting back with the results.