General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 mile drive from Dallas to SF: checks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Default 2000 mile drive from Dallas to SF: checks?

Okay guys, I have been working on preparing the car for the long haul 2000 mile drive (to the Bay Area)! So far I have new (1) coolant/radiator fluid (2) battery (3) tires (4) oil change

1. What are the signs of a worn out timing belt that needs to be replaced soon. I will get mine replaced if I have to before leaving TX (because I dont want to get stranded in the middle of the desert in Arizona!

2. How do I know if my brake (drums/calipers) are in good shape? Is there anything I can do to check or do I have to go to a shop to get that done?

3. How do I check if all gaskets/valves are in order under the hood? Visual inspection shows nothing major (only tiny amounts of oil/grease/grime on the engine body)

4. How do I check integrity of the brake linings?

5. Do I need to check the vacuum manifold? (one of my friends told me to!) Is this even important?

6. Can I check the Transmission fluid levels myself or take it to a shop to get that done?

7. Wheel bearings? Wheel balance/alignment?

Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 PM

just go and get it serviced, you can do all of the above yourself but you would need to know what you are looking for.
your timing belt should be placed before 150,00,00km nt sure what that is in miles, if it is discoloured or frayed at all get it replaced