General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 02:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

2001 Camry alternator problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:04 AM
Default 2001 Camry alternator problem

Car died so I jumped it back off. Pulled cable from positive and it shut back off. I figured alternator, took it to advance auto and it failed test. I bought a new one and after installing I noticed the windows wouldn't roll down and nothing on the dash works. I pulled the wire again from battery and it still shutting down. I've changed out the 100 amp alternator fuse after that. Still same problem. Maybe I have another bad alternator. Will bad one cause windows and dash to not work

Last edited by yourkiddin; 03-25-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Check all your fuses to rule them out.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:19 AM

I don't see any specific fuses for windows or dash. And are there any others under the dash? I've never had any problems with this car. 204000 miles and only timing belt and water pump. It was just an immediate loss of windows and dash and then finally the battery died. I watched them test that dang alternator. It failed but the new one hasn't fixed problem.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Unlike a generator, an alt needs to be connected to the battery to work. Disconnecting the bat cable with engine is running will cause engine to quit, plus can damage the alt.

Have the alt tested again and if bad replaced. If you purchased a rebuilt alt ask for a replacement while playing dumb. It is reasonably common for a rebuilt alt to be bad out of the box.

Make sure the battery cable connections are clean and secure! Also check connections at alt.

Use an volt-meter to check battery voltage. When the engine has been off for a time charged battery should be 12.6-.8v. Engine running at 2000 rpm should be 14.5-15.1v, more or less.

If the cars electrical system has exposed fusible links (not inside a plastic box), it is possible for them to corrode to the point of having poor or intermediate contact.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:27 PM

So here is what I found. This morning I went through whole fuse box under the hood. After no luck and being frustrated I thought to myself a few minutes.lol I was like I can't believe there is nothing labeled windows or gauges. So I went to inside and back behind the change compartment found another fuse box. It had one labeled gauge. It was a blown 10 amp fuse. The windows and gauges on dash worked. I was good now all I got to do is deal with is the alternator. Well I checked voltage again and now the alternator was charging. I was like no way. I put old fuse back in and sure enough alternator not charging. Now I'm wondering if that old alternator was ok after all. 155 dollars verses a 10 amp fuse. But then again maybe they both went out at same time. But it's fixed and I'm stress free.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:42 PM

So I thought I had it fixed. I seen everything was working I was satisfied. Well I backed out a few minutes ago and looked down and it happened again. Lost dash and windows. Blown fuse again.so I put another fuse in and it seems to happen as soon as I put gear shift in nuetral.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

One item the Gauge fuse connects to is the Alt.

Does the fuse blow in Neutral or Reverse? In Reverse power goes to the back up lights. The wiring going from the chassis to the trunk lid can fail due to lid flexing when opening and closing.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:08 PM

So yes I meant reverse. I have had problems with those reverse lights for years. But I finally gave up.they haven't worked for I don't know how long. It must be a short cause my last fuse I put in is still OK. And I've repeatedly put it in reverse. But not sure how long it last

Old 03-25-2014, 10:15 PM

Oh and I had opened the trunk to check out all the lights. But I have just left those reverse lights out. So I'm wondering now about this chassis wire.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Even if you have those bulbs out, there is still a hot wire that runs to them and it can ground out if it is worn like Joey said.

Last edited by Patonium; 03-26-2014 at 12:17 AM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply: 2001 Camry alternator problem