General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 XLE V6 back from the dead…

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 12:47 PM
Default 2002 XLE V6 back from the dead…

Hey guys! First time poster here, I just wanted to get everyone’s opinion. I have my hands on my Aunt’s 2002 XLE V6… It’s been parked in a (not so good) garage for 6-7 years, and as far as I know, it was parked running. It’s a couple states away from me, and I’m about to go check it out. From what I can remember, it has just under 200,000 miles on the odometer… maybe 180 ish? I’ve decided I want it to be my project, as I know nothing about working on cars but want to learn. I have a list of things I want to replace/do to it to hopefully get it back on the road, and make it my “beater.” As far as it’s history, I believe it had all it’s routine maintenance, and was treated very well.

First off, suck all the dead rodents out of the dash, if there are any… then…

Replace Fuel filter

Replace Fuel pump (i think it’s located under the rear seat)

Drain fuel tank

Drain and fill Transmission fluid

Replace Brake fluid

Replace Brake rotors

Replace Brake pads

New Oil and Filter

Replace Coolant

New Windshield washer

New Wipers

New Cabin air filter

Fuel injector cleaner

AC refill

AT 205 reseal

Shocks and struts

Wheel bearings

Brake cleaner

Window rubber sealant for sunroof

At a shop…

New Water pump

New Oxygen Sensor

All new belts

Spark plugs

New tires and alignment

I appreciate y’all reading so far… if you have any advice for me to get this car back on the road, I’d super appreciate it!

Old 05-22-2022, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Are you going to drive the car back or do the work at the location the car is at?

Old 05-22-2022, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Good question Joey!
Don't forget a battery!
Your list looks pretty good though.
Hopefully the AC won't need a refill, they are not supposed to leak coolant as they are a closed and sealed system.
Keep us posted!

Old 05-22-2022, 10:13 PM

Hey guys! Thanks for responding! I am planning on doing a majority of the work while I’m at the car’s current location. I want to do a majority of the work that will benefit me/the engine for a long drive afterwards. I can probably trailer it later this summer but I’d prefer to drive it from MD to FL.

Old 05-23-2022, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

The car being garaged is good!If you are trailering the car then suggest doing nothing at the cars current location. If you are driving your list might be shortened.

If the fuel tank is filled with ethanol it may have absorbed water, bl, bla, bla. Drain tank and fill with fresh fuel.

The transmission fluid should be OK for the drive back. Check the level. Ditto for brake fluid.

Check rotors for rusts and possible freezing up. Try pushing the car to check for free motion.

Change oil and filter.

The coolant is good enough. The antifreeze never degrades but the anti-corrosion additives do.

New wiper blades and top off fluid.

If the car runs OK no need for injector cleaner.

If the AC works it’s OK. Lack of use can cause problems..

Don’t know what AT 205 reseal is.

Shocks and struts can wait until you get the car home.

Wheel bearings. There are usual replaced as needed meaning when bad. It may not be an easy job to replace these.

Check brakes for binding, rust, etc. You can sand off any rust.

Use a garden hose to check for sunroof leaks. Can duct tape the area on a temporarily basis for sealing until getting the car home.

Check the tires for any obvious signs of damage. Make sure the spare tire is good and the car has a jack, etc.

You might cut off the ign system then crank the engine until the oil pressure light goes off. If up to it remove the valve cover and check the valve train for rust which has happened. Then pour oil over the valve train.

Had cars garaged for years then driven up to 1K miles to a new location. The only thing done was to check fluids and change oil. No filter change as didn’t have one. Make sure tires are OK and have a good spare. Drive the car around for a time to make sure its OK.