General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Camry Gurgling Sound Under Dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Default 2003 Camry Gurgling Sound Under Dash

My 2003 Camry has started to make a noise under the dash. The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like your stomach making a gurgling sound when you're hungry. I seems worse the first 20-30 minutes after started in the morning. It occurs when moving and sitting still, but only with the engine running. Any ideas???....

Old 12-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2003 Camry Gurgling Sound Under Dash

sounds like a heater core to me my friend

Old 12-10-2006, 04:16 AM

same here.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:32 PM

can you elaborate a bit when you say "heater core"? I think I have the same issue with my 2002 camry. No problems with my heat though. Thanks

Old 10-07-2008, 11:45 AM

Hi,
I just bought my 05 camry a month back. At first it was ok, but then I took it to a mechanic. He flushed the transmission oil, and the coolant.
After about 10 days I found out that the mechanic hadn't tightened the bolt and washer in the transmission oil drain, and most of it drained out. The remaining transmission oil had too much metal residue.
At the same time I started hearing the gurgling noise that you mentioned, particularly in the first 10-15 minutes after cold start. This would be audible just above 1000 rpm, but would go away after I reached 10-15mph or so. I noticed that the coolant was low, and that there was a puddle of coolant below on the right side of car, and a puddle of transmission oil on the left of car. Terrifying experience.
I went back to the mechanic, fought with him, and he fixed the transmission oil bolt, flushed the transmission again and refilled it with new atf. This time, the transmission stopped leaking, and I checked carefully to make sure it wasn't leaking.
However, he says that the radiator in my car is leaking and needs to be replaced and is charging me $260 for that.

The gurgling sound is still there though. Do you think it will go away after the radiator change? Does this gurgling have to do with anything other than air pockets in the coolant caused by the leak? I hope it is not due to any engine or transmission problems. I don't use the AC as it is cold in Chicago (some people said AC might cause similar noises).
Thanks.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

I suggest you find another mechanic.

If metal was found in the remaining trans fluid what should have been done is to drop the oil pan and check the intake screen and magnets for metal debris. Running low on trans fluid can lead to trans damage.

The noise is most likely air in the coolant system going through the heater core. It typically works its way out over time. This noise normally occurs after a coolant change or if the coolant level gets too low. Low meaning very low, not just the level in the over flow tank drops.

It is possible the coolant system has a method to bleed excess air out but not knowing the engine type can comment.

Put the heat control on high to get the most coolant flow through the heater core. The noise should not be related to the trans.

If the mechanic failed to tighten the trans drain bolt wonder what else was not done right. A coolant leak can be caused by many issues including something as simple as a loose hose clamp.

The car only being 2-3 years old a radiator failure is not typical, it should normally last at least 10 years.

The AC system is completely seperate, suppose it might be able to make this noise but would look at air in the heater core as the source.

Suggest you look around the engine compartment yourself and try to determine where the coolant is leaking. Check all hose connections including the smaller coolant hoses. If not up to this task suggest getting a second opinion.

The amount quoted for the radiator change is OK, the issue is mechanic or shop may not be competent.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 AM

Hi, I have what sounds similar. Noted gurgling sound when first start and drive 2000 camry. Sounds like liquid running through pipe.Sound goes away after a few blocks. Also just noted fluid leak on garage floor. Leak is dripping off oil pan, has yellow tint and I think slightly sweet taste. So I suspect is radiator coolant but not sure. I don't see coolant in radiator visible when I remove cap and none in overflow. I can't see leak point when I jack up car but I don't have lift to get car up to get really good look from below. I just drove the car 1100 miles straight highway driving with no problems. It must be leaking somewhere above oil pan and dripping down. I'd love to save some money and fix anything possible I can, but I'm certainly not a mechanic. any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

This appears to antifreeze.

With engine off and cold feel all the hoses for coolant even the ones buried in the engine such as the bypass hoses. Make sure you feel the bottom of the hose. Check for loose hose clamps.

The upper and lower radiator tanks are plastic and can crack and leak.

The water pump is on the passengers side of the engine, check for coolant under the timing cover area. This would be the area behind and below the crank pulley.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:20 AM

your tranny is gonna be shot within a years time. I would of got new transmission out of the deal. shavings, etc in trannyoil means friction and grinding whichtranslates tohe effed your tranny big time. it may last longer than year but i doubt it.Make sure to keep all paperwork on tranny issue, you will need it!! as for sound, worst case scenario like said above would be heater coil. or could just be coolant hitting airpockets on return. diagnoses would be the only way too truly know, but also as mentioned above change mechanics regardless. to think a mechanic could miss the simple part of the job, lol scary!... good luck

Old 12-19-2009, 10:41 PM

Hi all I have a 94 Camry SE v6 manual transmission.

I'm also getting this sound under my dash. It kind of sounds like rushing water.

The sound happens even when the car is not moving.

I've been working on my car for about a week and part of the process is running it in the driveway to see how it acts / sounds.

The first time I heard this sound the car was sitting totally still. It sounds like it's coming from right behind the dash on the driver side or perhaps a bit towards the radio / middle vent area. It sounds like a pretty decent amount of liquid flowing too, not just a little bit. You hear the sound for a few seconds and then it goes away.

To me it sounds like a fluid rushing through a large diameter tube.

Quick Reply: 2003 Camry Gurgling Sound Under Dash