General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2009 Camry 2.4 need help with ac compressor issue

Old 06-26-2018, 09:32 PM
Default 2009 Camry 2.4 need help with ac compressor issue

Hey guys, im stumped on this ac issue. 2009 camry 2.4, has the 1 plug compressor that has the internal lock up clutch which spins all the time. Car isnt blowing cold. There seem to be 2 issues right now. One is there is a big leak, it had nothing in the system. I filled the system and added some dye to find the leak. And still no visible leak, my suspicuons are possibly the evap core, however i didnt have access to a sniffer today to test it. The 2nd issue is, the compressor doesnt engage, even when refrigerant is filled.
Ive checked a wiring diagram and it seems there are no relays or fuses, and the compressor has 1
2 wire connector which gets power from the ac amplifier. Ive check the ground, and it is good. Ive checked the power, with key on, ac on, and im reading 2.6v on the power side. I didnt hace access to any specs for that.
No codes, yet the scan tool seemed to show some different ambient air sensor readings. Live data had the amboent correct at 95 degrees Fahrenheit, however when doing some bidirectional tests, it stated 36 degrees Fahrenheit. So I decided to check the sensor resistance and it was within spec for the ambient temp.

Now obviously there is a big leal somewhere, iam suspecting the evap core, but cant be sure until i put the sniffer up the drain tube. But what tests can be done on this compressor to condemn it good or bad?

Old 06-27-2018, 12:32 AM

I'm having the same issue

Old 06-27-2018, 02:42 AM

Do u have the same 1 connector compressor?

Old 06-27-2018, 10:09 AM

Yes I sure due.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Auto or manual climate control?

Check resistance between the two terminals of the compressor plug. Should be 10-11 ohm.

Check No 1 terminal of harness plug resistance. With plug lock oriented up and terminals facing you, No 1 is on the left. No 1 terminal grounds to chassis. Should be 1 ohm or less.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:19 PM

Manual climate control. Ok, i may have to remove compressor to check, or fab up some lesds that fit the terminals. Its a tight fit down there. Does the 2.6v coming to the sensor sound right?

Old 06-27-2018, 04:59 PM

By the info i have researched, the ac amplifier applies a varied 0-12c voltage and the comprrssor is pwm. The 2.6v maybe an issue upstream of the compressor.

anyone have anymore actual experience with these ac sysytems

Old 06-02-2023, 11:31 PM
Default Read this

[QUOTE=Wrench916;98468]Hey guys, im stumped on this ac issue. 2009 camry 2.4, has the 1 plug compressor that has the internal lock up clutch which spins all the time. Car isnt blowing cold. There seem to be 2 issues right now. One is there is a big leak, it had nothing in the system. I filled the system and added some dye to find the leak. And still no visible leak, my suspicuons are possibly the evap core, however i didnt have access to a sniffer today to test it. The 2nd issue is, the compressor doesnt engage, even when refrigerant is filled.
Ive checked a wiring diagram and it seems there are no relays or fuses, and the compressor has 1
2 wire connector which gets power from the ac amplifier. Ive check the ground, and it is good. Ive checked the power, with key on, ac on, and im reading 2.6v on the power side. I didnt hace access to any specs for that.
No codes, yet the scan tool seemed to show some different ambient air sensor readings. Live data had the amboent correct at 95 degrees Fahrenheit, however when doing some bidirectional tests, it stated 36 degrees Fahrenheit. So I decided to check the sensor resistance and it was within spec for the ambient temp.

Now obviously there is a big leal somewhere, iam suspecting the evap core, but cant be sure until i put the sniffer up the drain tube. But what tests can be done on this compressor to condemn it good or bad?[/QUOTE

HELLO BRAD HERE - replace the compressor they have many
issues stemming from clutch engagement to the internal pressure regulators .it’s Probly your leak too , more likely then the Evap core for sure , slow
leaks even die sometimes won’t show you , fill the system with air from your tool compressor make up a hose with a pressure guage , a low side connector and a valve stem type connector for putting in the air then put as much air as your tool compressor can handle , we have a commercial size and it will only put about 150psi in … but it’s old so idk , watch the pressure guage I said to install don’t let it go higher then you’ve ever seen on your ac guages 150 works for me I wouldn’t go much higher max 200 for sure . Then spray every possible leak areas with soapy water like a tire checking for a leak . That’s the best you can do without a sniffer or relying on the dye and it’s free to the customer so pretty good option and watch everything and jus t like a slow bead leak on a tire you will see it show up on like 5 mins if you sprayed where the leak is . Bubbles jus t like the small frothy ones from a slow bead leak .