General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Camry LE overheat/possible gasket blown after state inspection done.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Default 2009 Camry LE overheat/possible gasket blown after state inspection done.

2009 Camry LE overheat/possible gasket blown after state inspection done.

Hey guys first post. I may seem log winded because I'm trying to have everything down that just occurred fresh on my end.
Video in details explaining everything:

Background about the car and events that have taken place:
-2009 Camry LE 4 cylinder
-Miles: 86000
-Salvage title
-Bought 3 years ago from auction.
-Done general tune up's and oil changes.
-Periodically will have engine light and have rattling noises from engine (turned out to be the water pump that cleared the noises and temporarily have engine light off).
-Running great till past month and a half when car first overheated. Checked coolant fluid reservoir & top lid under coolant cap and it appeared no coolant was in the car. Put some Prestone in the car and seen that it was a small leak. Tried taking it to a recommend mechanic and the car overheated again and had to make a u turn to the nearest auto shop near the house.
-They stated it was the water pump and they replaced it. Everything was fine! No noises from the engine and check engine light temporarily turn off (Turned back on days later).
-Fast forward to today we went to go to the same mechanic because they did a good job on the water pump to do a state inspection. Mind you we have a check engine light and need whatever needs to be fixed to pass inspection.
-Wife said that the mechanic/shop owner said the vehicle had a "misfire" and that the ignition coil for one of the cylinders need to be replaced.
-We OKed the fix which costed $85 plus $25 for state inspection. Shop owner drives and test the vehicle fine and it passed inspection.
-Wife drives the car as normal and runs errands. Hours later she called me and said the car is shaking (an indication that its overheating). She was not far from the shop and I told her go (not recommended know).
-Everything was fine with the vehicle after the water pump was replaced a month in a half ago until we got it inspected today and they replaced the ignition coil.
-Wife brings car back to the shop the shop owner and shop manager (female) explains the overheating had nothing to do with replacing the ignition coil or doing the inspection.
-Wife calls me while I'm work to explain whats going on and I ended up having a calm conversation with the shop manager and owner about my dissatisfaction and that everything was before the car as serviced today. They seem not to take ownership of the problem.
-Ended up going to the shop before closing time when got off work.
-Shop owner and manager kindly took me to the car and explained when the car first overheated before getting the water pump replaced a month ago that it causes a breakdown of the head gasket and had no other suggestion of why it overheated and that its now running on two cylinders instead of 4.
-I opted leaving the car at the shop because I felt was not getting the full truth. Drive home safely and couple stop away from the shop w/o it overheating (put heater on full blast method).
-Only thing they recommended is to selling the car as is

Old 06-20-2018, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Have a compression test done and compare the readings between cylinders.

The coolant system can be pressurized to test for leaks.

Something called a "block test" will test for exhaust chemicals in the coolant. A sign of a failed head gasket.

Find out what any trouble codes were.

A problem coil can be intermediate and with this cause an intermediate check light issue. Rough running engine and the light comes on. Normal running engine and the light is out.