General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2010 Camry jerking and high rpm

Old 04-07-2018, 08:02 PM
Default 2010 Camry jerking and high rpm

i have a 2010 Camry a family member gave me. It has 165,000 on it. It’s a great car except around 45mph there is a rough jerk and the rpms jump up to 3000. It stays like this for a second or two then everything goes back to normal. The engine quits accelerating when it happens until the rpms drop. It started 3 years ago around 130,000 miles. Family member was told it was torque converter sticking. He did a flush and fill with an additive but it didn’t help. Plugs are changed, and I changed out the throttle position sensor. Any other thoughts? 4 cylinder, vvti motor.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

Could the jerk be called shudder?

The rpm jumps to 3000 from what lower rpm?

Has any one checked the trouble codes for the trans?.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Could the jerk be called shudder?

The rpm jumps to 3000 from what lower rpm?

Has any one checked the trouble codes for the trans?.
Definitely a jerk. If the rpms are in the 2000 range it jumps up. If I can hit 45mph below 2000 or above 3000 rpms, the jerk usually does not happen. It can happen anywhere from 40 mph to 50. But a vast majority of the time it's 45. No warning lights on.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

The trans torque converter may have issues. The converter "locks up" around the MPH's you state the problem occurs.

Turn off the overdrive switch. Then determine what happens at those MPH's.

In the future, suggest not using any trans additives. Just exchange the old fluid for new.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:41 PM

It does not have an overdrive button.

In general the rpms randomly drop 500. It might be when a shift happens but I am not quite sure. My foot never leaves the gas. They eventually work their way back up.

i changed the throttle body and tps this past Saturday. Since then the car runs smoother, but when I start it the rpms jump up to 2000 in park, 1000 when I put it in drive. The car goes up to 10mph quickly with never touching he gas. Both in drive and reverse. After it warms up, the park rpms range around 1200 and drive is just below 1000. It also doesn’t move as fast with foot off the break. I honestly never paid attention to these conditions before changing it. The jerk and rpm drops and spikes happened before the change, just not sure about the start up rpm. The speed without the pressing the gas is new.

the mpg is also down around 19 in the city which seems really low to me. I just ran seafoam through it. Not sure if that is tied in with the rpm and jerking issue.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

There is no overdrive switch?

Look on shift lever under the shift lock button.

Replacing throttle body and or disconnecting battery may cause the computer to need to relearn idle speed.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:05 PM

There is no overdrive switch?

Look on shift lever under the shift lock button.

Replacing throttle body and or disconnecting battery may cause the computer to need to relearn idle speed.
Yeah, I think it relearned already. It hasn't been doing it since the last thread.

So my issues are the gas mileage, the random rpm drops and the jerk with rpm spike.

Nope, no shift lock or overdrive. I even googled it. Overdrive is automatic. It does have an "S" drive which appears to let you manually control the shifting somewhat. I have to read more on it. The owner's manual was not very detailed.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

If possible without over revving engine. Try limiting the trans shifting range to up to 4th gear max, when going the MPH where the issue occurs. Then determine if the revving occurs

This may lock out the "flex lockup" of the torque converter. Flex lockup is a transition between no lockup and full lockup.

The lockup system may have issues causing slipping.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:02 PM

If possible without over revving engine. Try limiting the trans shifting range to up to 4th gear max, when going the MPH where the issue occurs. Then determine if the revving occurs

This may lock out the "flex lockup" of the torque converter. Flex lockup is a transition between no lockup and full lockup.

The lockup system may have issues causing slipping.
drove it this afternoon and this evening in S4 and it never jerked or had rpm issues

Old 04-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Try the following:

If possible to safely do this without over revving engine. When the problems occurs, shift trans from D to S and determine if the issue goes away.

And

When in D and the problem occurs, keep foot on gas and tap brake pedal enough to turn on brake light switch. Braking (turning on brake electrical switch) should disengage the lockup clutch system. Determine if problem goes away.

Would speculate the problem is a torque converter lock up system issue.

The trans has a valve that physically controls lockup (done mechanically) via trans hydraulic pressure. The valve action is controlled by the engine computer.

Flex lockup is lockup that is not full on or off. This system is in addition to the typically full on or off lockup mode.

Toyota has had a lot of issues with rumbling, jerking, etc with the flex lockup system. They issued a few service bulletins however can't find anything for 2010.

The fix for rumbling was a replacement "improved" converter.

The revving could be the torque converter slipping when going between freewheeling and lockup mode.

As to fixing the issue don't know for sure. Speculate a bad torque converter.

A bad torque converter (without the added flex lock) can cause rumbling, jerking and slipping.

The issue is lots of owners have complained about jerking, rumbling, etc which has been linked to the flex system and torque converter.

If your trans wasn't slipping would state a flex lock problem.

Either way the torque converter lock up clutch may have issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Camry jerking and high rpm