General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd tranny still same problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Default 3rd tranny still same problem?

I just put the 3rd tranny on my 1994 toyota camry last weekend but it seems like still same problem. It works for few minutes then all a sudden it won't ran anymore. Reverse works fine though. After few minutes then it works fine again like nothing happen. From the last 2 tranny same problem...am I unlucky ending up with not working tranny or am addressing the problem wrong....

Old 12-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Who is installing the trans?

Are you replacing the torque converter or using the old one?

Did you install the torque converter correctly so that it is set back inside the bell housing and not slightly extended out.

Did you drain the torque converter or was it drained of fluid when received and if so did you refill it before installing it?

Any chance the trans oil cooler is plugged and not allowing oil to circulate?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:26 AM

Am installing it and for sure its not the problem because its not the first car I ever swap with engines and tranny. Am using same torque that comes with the tranny. Yah all oil drained from the converter too. Am using only tranny from 94-96. A friend of mine did 94 camry with 1mzfe slap a tranny came from 99. I thought it was too far of year but nope same tranny A541e....am really confused why it is same problem...its rans for few minutes then stall on me then after few minutes it rans fine again....

Old 12-13-2011, 06:54 PM

soooo, I was told several times that if you swap trannie, you have to swap out TCM for one that matches. Or ECM if it's strictly ECM controlled. Take it for what you want to. I understand that you "had it done before".

also, are you reusing sensors off old trannie? might be your issue.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

It is possible the one-way clutch on the torque converter is bad. This will result in the car not being able to move in any forward or reverse gear. The fix is to replace the clutch or complete converter.

If the converter was drained it may not self prime the result is the same as above.

The computer turns the solenoids on/off to shift gears or lock up the converter. The manually gear selector will still engage R or D OK even with the solenoids wires disconnected. The car should be able to move F and R with the solenoids disconnected.

Doubt three trans are bad out of the box, thus something else is going on external of components inside the trans case. If the by design a proper working trans can be shifted manual without the computer connected this leave the torque converter, plugged trans oil cooler, axles, low fluid, ?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 PM

I think there is something wrong with the installation, it idling... you need to reinstall it.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:46 PM

I dont think its the intallation....plus this is not the first car i ever work on. I actually swap this engine myself. From lower end to top end. I have a hunch its the valve body tricking me...i know its a gamble swapping tranny rather thsn swapping an engine. If engine crank I can fire it up, if tranny turns manually from the torque converter before installing it that doesn't mean it works whats inside.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

A valve body issue can cause the non-movement issue, still 3 trans in a row for the same issue would be strange.

More likely problem areas for this trans are the one-way torque converter clutch, O/D one way clutch or brake that are inside the trans or a differential issue.

It is possible the parking pawl is still engaged, when out of Park make sure the car is able to move when pushed.

You can drop the valve body with the trans still in the car. But before doing this suggest if you have access to trans pressure gauge to take a few readings.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:26 PM

Yah men I have must doubt with the valve body. It didnt take me that long to swap tranny one after the other coz i did it all at 1 day each, yanking the engine and slapping another tranny there....all my option falling on that valve body. Beside all the tranny I drop before that has weird clicking sound but this one I put is quiet it just have that problem...

Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Are your the axles are fully installed?

Last edited by toyomoho; 12-15-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 3rd tranny still same problem?