General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Camry Automatic Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Default 92 Camry Automatic Transmission problem

My 92 Camry's reverse gear is getting weaker and weaker. It has 198,000 miles on the original transmission and I wonder if it is about time that the transmission goes kaput...

Currently, the reverse gear has great trouble even going up a gentle slope.

I broughtmy Camryinto a repair shop specializing in Toyota and they told me that I needed a new reman transmission from Toyota for $2,700, labor included. 2.7k seems to be more than the car is worth now and I wonder if I could fix this issue at a cheaper cost...I really liked this car and would like to drive it for another 50k miles. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Old 07-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Default RE: 92 Camry Automatic Transmission problem

Find a reputable local transmission shop that knows how to rebuild Toyotas in-house and is willing to give you a good warranty. OEM rebuilds are really a good deal for an independent shop that doesn't do a lot of transmission work. They come with a great warranty and all the shop has to do is the swap work. A transmission shop, on the other hand, has to really know what they're doing to make a living in that business. Stay away from the chain operated tranny shops. You should be able to get an independent shop to rebuild yours for less than $2,000.