General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Camry 3vzfe idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Default 93 Camry 3vzfe idle issues

I have a 93 Camry xle that is having idle issues. It ran fine drove it for about a week then all of a sudden it has an erratic idle. It doesn't matter if its cold or warmed up it will go from a high idle like 12-1300 then drop down to a really rough 5-600. I have cleaned the Idle Air Control and the motor was recently gone through new timing, gaskets, vacuum lines, plugs wires distributor with cap and rotor ect. I'm at a total loss for what could cause this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Other then the idle issue the engine runs OK?

Old 04-09-2013, 12:42 PM

Yeah besides the idle the engine runs great.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Can only guess.

Check resistance of coolant temp sensor for computer. Should be 2.5K ohms at 68F, 0.6K ohms at 140F, 0.3 ohms at 176F.

Make sure the EGR system is off at idle. Find the vacuum valve on top of the mechanical EGR valve and disconnect and plug all hoses and ports.

You checked for vacuum hose leaks, check if components are leaking such as the EVAP canister being cracked.

Perhaps remove one vacuum hose a time from the idling engine and plug both hose and connection port.

Check IAC valve motor resistance. If electrical plug has 6 connectors, 3 in each in 2 rows. Orient plug with rows horizontal and small portion of the long side of plug down.

S4,B2,S2
S3,B1,S1

B1-S1 or S3 = 10-30 ohms
B2-S2 0r S4 = same

Find the fuel pressure regulator. If it has a vacuum hose check for vacuum at the hose. Should be only vacuum after starting engine hot and only for 120 seconds.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Can only guess.

Check resistance of coolant temp sensor for computer. Should be 2.5K ohms at 68F, 0.6K ohms at 140F, 0.3 ohms at 176F.

Make sure the EGR system is off at idle. Find the vacuum valve on top of the mechanical EGR valve and disconnect and plug all hoses and ports.

You checked for vacuum hose leaks, check if components are leaking such as the EVAP canister being cracked.

Perhaps remove one vacuum hose a time from the idling engine and plug both hose and connection port.

Check IAC valve motor resistance. If electrical plug has 6 connectors, 3 in each in 2 rows. Orient plug with rows horizontal and small portion of the long side of plug down.

S4,B2,S2
S3,B1,S1

B1-S1 or S3 = 10-30 ohms
B2-S2 0r S4 = same

Find the fuel pressure regulator. If it has a vacuum hose check for vacuum at the hose. Should be only vacuum after starting engine hot and only for 120 seconds.
Can coolant come in the intake through the IAC? Immediately upon start up on my 93 Camry 3.0, I get plumes of whit smoke.

I removed the intake and took off the EGR cooler and IAC valve. inside the plenum and the intake manifold is dripping in what looks like a mess of excessive fuel (black, wet, and sooty) and coolant all mixed together.

Also, it appears that the three intake runners to the left head are black and wet inside from the excessive fuel and coolant but the three runners to the right head seem clean and and seem drier inside?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Clay

Old 04-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Default white smoke,coolant in intake manifold.

Coolant appears to be coming in through the EGR pipe at the back of the manifold. Will replace right head gasket and try again.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:48 PM

Hi there I've tryed and check all the above and it's all good I have no idea what is making it run at idle so rough

Old 04-13-2013, 04:50 PM

And new temp sensor

Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Determine if the EGR valve has a cooler using engine coolant. The coolant line runs from the main coolant manifold to the EGR then IAC then back to another area of the manifold Suppose ?, a leaking coolant gasket could cause coolant in this cylinder head.

The valve stem seals can leak with age and cause white smoke at start up. Coolant smells sweet. Smell the smoke.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:11 PM

Hey thanks Joey,

I air checked both the IAC valve and EGR cooler. Neither are leaking internally. Then I pulled the head and found #5 cyl had a direct coolant leak from the head gasket.

There must have been enough coolant coming in that some of it was routed through the EGR and back into the manifold because it was wet inside. Replaced the head gasket and the white smoke is gone.

Now I'm having a problem getting the power steering pump back up in the bracket. I've been fighting it for over an hour with no success. I've loosened the hose bracket and reservoir and the lower adjusting bracket but just can't seem to get the top ear of the ps pump to line up with the top hole......any tips?

Thanks again.

Clay

Quick Reply: 93 Camry 3vzfe idle issues