General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Toyota Camry

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Default 94 Toyota Camry

Hi,I'm new here my camry shut off while I was exiting on to the highway ramp,now it won't start,it will turn over when trying to start and you can smell gas fumes.Anybody know what the problem might be?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:54 PM

If you smell gas it could be a ruptured fuel line and you had run the injectors out of gas. where do you smell the gas? is there any on the ground?
I had my "Fuel pressure damper" go bad and start leaking. It did not effect the running of the engine but boy did it stink!

Old 05-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Default Gas Smell

I can smell the gas inside the car,when u try to start it,u said something about a ruptured fuel line,could this mean the car could be out of gas to,because my husband and neighbor did checked the fuel pump and its ok,the engine still cranks,still won't start

Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Check all the fuses including the ones behind the drivers side ash tray.

Find the ign coil and the large diameter ign wire running from the coil to the center of the distributor cap.

Unplug the wire at the distributor cap and hold it about 1/2 inch from a exposed metal part of the chassis. Exposed as in not painted, perhaps where a bolt attached. Hold the wire with an section of plastic pipe or some other electrical insulator. You can tape the wire to the insulator.

Have someone crank the engine over while the other person watched for a spark. If no spark, the ign circuit is the problem.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Default 1994 toyota camry is running

Took it to the GOODYEAR garage,they said the sparks plugs needed replace that they where no good,It's running now,cost me $300.Thanks
for all your inputs.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back with the fix.

The plugs must have been pretty bad.