General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Default 96 Transmission

Hello all!

I'm new here... personally a Honda fan, but right now I'm trying to replace a clutch on a 2.2 manual trans in a 96 camry.

We're having problems pulling the last 3 bolts out on the bottom side of the trans, and I was wondering if you Camry fans had any sort of secret to getting these out or if I'm jsut going to have to fight with it till I can.

Main problem is, it's -4 here without the windchill, and I'm cold as heck outside, so I'd like to do the most affective thing with the least amount of time outside as possible.

lmk if anyone can help, Thanks a bunch!!
-Kuchta

Old 01-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 96 Transmission

Are they stuck, no access?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:05 PM

one of the bolts is the one right next to the exhaust manifold.

the other we can get to, but can't fit a closed wrench over it.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:35 PM

Look on the bright side, good excuse to buy more tools!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure I can help. If you want send a PM with email address and will attach a file on removing this trans setup.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:22 PM

lol, buying more tools isn't really an option seeing as I have 6 grand in tools to use at work.... I just really don't want to take the exhaust manifold off if I don't have to.

it's okay tho, Gear Wrench Shallow Sockets saved the day. haha

Managed to hammer a 13 mm onto the stripped 14 bolt and got it out.

I'll PM you my address for that manual tho, cause now getting the trans out past the mount and the engine chassis will be fun.....

Thanks for your help guys!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 PM

so now is there a secret to get the intermediate shaft out? we've been fighting for the last hour to get either the passenger side shaft, or intermediate shaft out and neither of them are budging...

Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Sent info on removing the trans.

The passengers side inner axle should not have a circlip on its splined shaft that goes into the diff housing like the drivers side does.

The intermediiate axle bearing is held in place by a retaining bolt on the bottom of the bearing mount AND a large snap ring facing the tire. If you have removed both of the these items the outer axle shaft, bearing and inner axle shaft should slide out.

Again there is not a circlip as stated above.

If nothing moves the issue is typically the bearing being frozen (rusted) to the bearing housing.

People have used a torch to heat the bracket, removed the bracket and the rest of the axle to work on it under better conditions, applied pentrating fluid to the bearing outer race/housing area and used old fashion hammerig of the axle to get the bearing out.

The frozen bearing is a common problem.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:50 AM

I found more swearing definitely helped. Be sure to use anti-seize grease on re-install.