General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'97 Camry Trans Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Default '97 Camry Trans Question

Recently I received a '97 Camry LE 4 cylinder from my dad's estate. He has lots of receipts for service visits, and as far as I can tell he had everything done by the book except a tranny service. There are 101K miles on the car and it runs and drives great. The fluid is a little dark, but is does not smell burned.
After 11 years and a hundred thousand miles without service, should I just let it go, or change the fluid and filter? I had this same scenario with another car years ago, I serviced the trans and within 3000 miles every seal let go and it was leaking like a sieve.
I love this car, it was a Godsend when gas was $4 a gallon, but I can't spend the $$$ to replace a tranny that I killed by servicing it when I shouldn't have.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: '97 Camry Trans Question

How did you service the last trans that had issues, a flush?

The issue is this:

Don't replace the fluid and be certain it will fail from bad fluid.

Replace the fluid and take a chance. In my opinion this issue is over blown.

Do this:

The trans pan holds about 2 quarts, the torque converter about 4.

Do four drain and refills of the pan in-between drives. This should change most of the fluid.

You can do this yourself as it is simular to an oil change. You will need a 10mm hex key socket tool (Allen key) to remove the pan drain plug. Any autoparts or tool store should have this.

Use the type of trans fluid stamped on the dip stick. Typically Dexron III (or it replacement)

Don't do a flush!