General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Camry No Go!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Default 98 Camry No Go!

Hello new poster here, Im 17 and have been tinkering with cars as far as i can remember. But this Toyota Camry has eaten and spit me out (puzzles me) and has tried my skills. I have read many pots and trouble shot anything i thought might apply. Im at a complete loss and help would be awesome.

Now for the problem, its a family friend whose car this is. She was driving on the freeway when she went to accelerate felt and as if she was pushing on the brakes (which she wasn't), lost power and died. She then was afraid to drive and had it Towed.

The car would start run completely normal hold idle, Rev fine no miss or rough idle and would run for almost exactly 30 seconds and die. Same even if i held throttle and keep Rpm up it was as if i turned the key off. I would then try to restart the car, it cranks then trys to run for a split second and failed to start. Does this repeatedly until you let set for 10 min or less and would repeat this cycle. I did this cycle about 3 times. So I check the essentials.
- Spark, its great. New coils (4 months old), plugs and wires.
-Fuel, checked pressure around 45 psi, warm day too. Clean fuel fiter and good gas.
- Cleaned IACV/TB
-Reset ECU ( bad move on my part for Codes)

Same story
Moved onto EGR system on a hunch 224,000 miles it was dirty as F@#K! Which it was.
-Cleaned EGR, its not stuck open and moves freely when sucked on amd petile is seat is clean.
-Egr VSV cleaned and Ohm tested, checked out but still Suspect.
- Vacuum diaphragm, Cleaned and tested 19/20 psi at 3,000 rpms when it ran.
- Removed TB and cleaned IACV
- hoses for leaks and clogs

Did all this and slaped it together to find out now it wont run. Not even hold and idle for 30 sec. as it did before. It cranks and cranks has spark but no go. Im totaly clueless, i double, tripple checked connections, vaccum hoses everything.

HELP! please.
Sorry for the long post i just wanted to get in as much info as i can as i go to school. Thanks for reading and any input is appreciated

Old 10-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Fuel pressure seems OK.

The EGR system would not cause lack of power unless the valve was too open. A stuck open valve would cause a hard or no start condition. The valve should be closed at idle.

Was the check engine light on, if so as you know a code would have been stored.

Some times the timing belt will strip teeth resulting in spark but no start.

Might check if the AutoZone website has more specific test info for the MAP and crank sensors, etc. The site has a vehicle repair guide section for specific make/model of cars. Will need to "join" but its free, a lot of good info.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:52 PM

Well as it sits in my driveway it is a No Start condition. But the EGR isnt the problem i cleaned her and made sure it was moving freely. Could it be the Crank Senor to cause it not to start, i dont think its the timing belt because it ran fine. when it ran

Old 10-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

You check the pressure engine running?

Does this engine still have a distributor that would contain the cam (not crank) sensor?

Check crank sensor resistance. 985-1600 ohm cold, 1265-1890 hot.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:18 AM

Yes that is running, when it ran. It doesnt even try to start it just cracks. IDK im so lost with this and dont where to start. ill check that tomorrow. Any more ideas?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:54 PM

I changed the following
-water pump
-timing belt and tentioners
-Crank Positioning Sensor
It took 10 hrs to resemble just to find out a piece of carbon broke off into the combustion chamber. Me not knowing it wasnt a interference engine i thought it was me having the Timing off. But yeah that was a whole lot of "F*^k words thinking we bent a valve (we didnt tho). Anyways got it all together and -___- Same story. Crank Crank Crank... Then it starts and runs about 20 secounds, in that time frame it runs fine and smooth then it stalls and turns off. We came up with the conclution the Catalytic is clogged (banana in the tail pipe theory) Fed up we waited and started her and burried the right pedal. Black carbon water came shooting 6-7 feet out the tail pipe and onto another parked car. We got the Cat. nice a hot wit about 10 min of 4,500 rpms and it glowing cherry. So far seems so good, soon to be replaced is the Cat. But yeah this car gave us HELL! would be Happy to see it go