General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 camry no-start

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Default '98 camry no-start

Hey folks, first time poster here

I drive a 4 cylinder 1998 camry. Recently it's been a little flaky on start.

Last week I could not start the car had power to everything, starter was clicking but the engine would not start, after a quick google search and a word with a toyota tech I found out it was the neutral safety switch which was causing the no-start. Threw the car in neutral and it seemed to start up no problem.

This continued on for the better part of the week, two days ago the condition returned and I threw it into neutral again however this time the car would not start. I kept cranking the key and after about a minute or two of trying I got it to fire up. I found that to be a bit odd. The same thing happened yesterday.

I got up this morning to go to work, and the car would not start at all in D or neutral. I had full internal power, lights, etc but no start. I gave up and drove my fiance's car to work. I came back home on my lunch break and decided to give it a try again. The engine started firing up but right before it completely turned over it quit on me and went back to the not starting but with full power and the starter clicking.

I talked to a toyota tech and he said it could be one of the many myriad sensors and switches in the electrical system but my question to you guys is do you have ANY idea as to what it could be? Is this something I'd be able to remedy at least long enough to get it to the shop? I'm relatively lost here. Help!!

Old 09-10-2009, 12:36 AM

Fixed:

Turned out the starter was hosed. Replaced it and it worked like a charm :3