General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Camry transmission slipping, repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Default 98 Camry transmission slipping, repair?

I have a 98 4 cyclinder with 23x,xxx miles. The engine has started up immediately for the 4 years or so I've had it, never failed. Burns some oil but doesn't smoke noticeably. I got fairly new tires, starter, water pump.

The transmission started slipping and today the engine light came on. Unfortunately nobody can read the code, something wrong with the place where they plug in the code reader. The transmission guy said it's usually a blown fuse but the lighter works (the fuse he mentioned). He said he can figure out the code somehow.

When I got the transmission fluid changed the first time after buying it from a little old lady, they said it was like sludge. Just some background.

Anyway, is it worth it to fix this baby? I feel like I could get another 50-100K miles out of it. Just a hunch based on it's performance, reliability since I've had it, etc. No engine noises. A/C compressor rattles/knocks when the A/C kicks in but it's done that since I bought it.

I don't want to buy another car and especially don't want a car payment. Say it costs $1000 to fix and even if it lasts me a year, that's a year of no car payments.

I really like the car even though it's raggedy and ugly. It always starts up immediately even in the winter. Engine is smooth. Steering is silky smooth compared to the many news cars I've driven lately. It's like an old glove A/C is freezing and the heater is HOT. Both much better than my 2011 Fusion even.

I think most people would say put the $1K to a down payment for a newer car. I don't know how much it's going to cost, I just put that as an example. Going to have a transmission guy look at it Monday. I'm just throwing $1K cost as an estimate, I have no idea how much it's going to cost.

Sorry I rambled.

Joel

Old 08-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Are you handy with tools or must rely on paid mechanic for all work?

Old 08-11-2017, 07:11 PM

I wouldn't try to do it myself. I've done some repairs l repairs in the past but no tools or garage anyway.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

A mechanic should be able to access codes. The car has a separate code output system for trans codes.

Ditto for mechanic being able to check the ODBII port connections (wires).

A used trans is cheapest. Search internet for costs of an A140E trans for your year of car. Talk to mechanic about labor to install.

$1K may be to low for all work.

Change ALL trans fluid every 30K miles for longer trans life.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:37 PM

Thank you. Are all the transmissions interchangeable for 4 cylinder? Sounds like you're saying there is only one possible choice.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

The same basic trans model was used from the 80's to 2001. This issue the trans had a few changes over the years making an older trans not less compatible with a newer car.

Look for something between 1997 and 2001. If a mechanic is installing it, have them find the trans to take responsibility for it.