General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Camry

Old 03-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Default 99 Camry

I have a 1999 Camry LE edition. My issue is this... Most times when I press the brakes, I hear a popping noise sort of like springs stretching or popping. This happens from a drive coming to a stop it also will occur If i am already at a stop and press the brakes down just a little further. Any one ever encountered this???

Old 03-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Noise from front or rear of car, engine compartment or under the dash?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Noise from front or rear of car, engine compartment or under the dash?

Its coming from the front left side. I'm not sure how to tell if it's the engine compartment or under dash. The noise comes from the wheel area

Old 03-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Best to remove the drivers side tire then have someone press the brake while you watch the brake action and listen.

Check for binding brake pads or a caliper that is not moving free on the slider pins. The caliper should float on the rotor (move in and out as required).

Old 03-08-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Best to remove the drivers side tire then have someone press the brake while you watch the brake action and listen.

Check for binding brake pads or a caliper that is not moving free on the slider pins. The caliper should float on the rotor (move in and out as required).

Thanks. This is something similar to the noise

1991 300ZX NA Popping Brakes - YouTube

Old 03-08-2012, 12:15 PM

Here is another youtube link.This is the exact noise that I am getting but its just coming from the left front side.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL2YLazDFv0&feature=related

Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

As the comments in the second YouTube video state might check out the anti-rattle clips. These clips keep the pads from rattling around when retained in the caliper.

Take the tire off, have someone press on the brake as you listen.

You might switch to a different brake pad, Toyota, Brembo, Hawk, etc.

Toyota has a service bulletin BR004–00 covering brake popping. It may not be the same issue as yours but has info on where and when to apply anti-noise grease.

Search this Thread