General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All of a sudden no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:23 PM
Default All of a sudden no start

Hello, everyone. This is my first post, and it's a cry for help. First, my situation:

I work in the San Jose, Bay Area. I live 4 hours from SJ. I leave on Sunday's to get to my trailer and stay here all week for work. Been doing this for almost 4 years now.
I keep two vehicles here. My main commuter from home to San Jose and back is a 93. Dodge diesel truck, and my 1998 Camry is my vehicle to get to and from work while I'm out here, due to the better mpg's it offers. This Camry has almost 350,000 miles on her. It's been in our family since new. I've done all the maintenance on it that I am able, but stuff like the timing belts and such I've taken it to the dealer. Runs great, till two days ago
I get to the grocery, shop, and when done get in car, turn ignition on and nothing. Light all light up, but no start. No clicking, nothing. All I see is the check engine light staring me at the face. Long story short, O'rileys does a check on the battery and all is good. Alternator was replaced for new around 6 months ago. The starter was replaced, as was suggested by O'rileys parts man after he checked out my alternator and battery. So, with a new starter/solenoid, still nothing. I'm at a loss, as I do not have tools out here in San Jose. All my tools are in the dodge, which has been on jack stands for almost a month to replace a flexplate that shredded. So, I am down to the 98 Camry. I am wondering if it could be the ignition switch, or maybe the anti theft module?? Really have to get this car back going again, and will be getting my scan tool from home this weekend, but in the meantime, what should I be checking for? Thanks in advance

Last edited by Bigragu; 04-13-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:39 AM

my thoughts and input

you had it running before you stopped so it was warm
the car does have an immobiliser but with the good key should be ok

if it doesnt crank its the starter wiring circuit to look at

check the engine bay fuses and relays check the starter relay

if the engine light stays off its wont have fault codes

other possibles
are the battery terminals full metal or insulated or round metal types
the cable between the starter and the battery can some times corrode up
are the earth points clean
any chance you could buy a cheap volt meter to see if you get 12 volts from the battery to the starter pole

Last edited by dirty hands; 04-14-2016 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:51 AM

Dirty hands, thnx for the advice. Here is what the O'rileys person did:
He tried jumping the starter by going from battery to starter. We could here the starting humming along, but the gear on the starter would not engage into the flywheel, which caused us to believe it was the starter solenoid. A new starter that did nothing proved us wrong.
Battery shows full 12.5 volts, so battery is good.
Cables were removed from battery and cleaned. There was only slight corrosion, as I am always checking for that and cleaning as part of maintenance.
The check engine light remains on when the key is actuated to try and start, and when left in the on position.
By the way, the car is a 98 4 cylinder hatchback, automatic transmission. LE package.
Really weird how no signs were shown that led up to this; yes, the car was warm. From work to the grocery was like 40 minutes of freeway driving.
I still use the factory key that is chipped

Old 04-14-2016, 06:54 AM

You mentioned the starter relay. The O'rileys guy couid hear it clicking every time I turned the ignition key to on. Any other fuses and relays I should check on?

My plan is to get my scan tool from home when I head back this weekend and check on it when I get back to the Bay Area. I will post the codes on here if it means helping someone else out who gets in this situation

Last edited by Bigragu; 04-14-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

The Toyota brand/installed immobilizer will allow the engine to turn over but not start.

Aftermarket security systems may not allow the engine to turn over but the auto man bypassed this system by jumping.

The check light is going to come on with ign switch. Doubt the problem is related to any system the check light (ECU monitors) as these systems are emissions related.

If the starter is humming along but not engaging, remove the starter and look at the ring gear. The teeth may be worn down to the point the starter pinion gear can not engage.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:51 PM

Bigragu that is good feed back there

i am out of ideas why it wont engage

to test if it is the ring gear stripped
turn the motor over by hand to different points ..see if that starter motor will grip the other teeth of the ring gear

Last edited by dirty hands; 04-14-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:16 PM

Dirty hands, I ruled out the starter by replacing the "still good" factory starter with a new one from O'rileys. What's weird is off of the ignition switch, no hum from the starter comes about. When bypassed by touching the battery terminal and starter, it hums along, but does not engage the flywheel.
Been inquiring thru out, and what do you think about the ignition switch? Someone says it's a two part, one side heads to the starter. Could that be out?
Another suggestion came about on a possible failed starter coil...is there such a thing? Sorry for newbie type questions. I am a diesel truck guy, not a sedan, gas person.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:38 AM

if it is the key and ignition assembly
diy swapping out the ignition stalk

Last edited by dirty hands; 04-15-2016 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:09 AM

Thanks, bro! I will look into this

Old 04-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

The starter hums as in the starter motor rotates making a high pitched whining noise? Perhaps like metal grinding on metal?

Or hums and nothing happens?

If you are connecting a battery jumper cable between the +12V battery terminal and the large electrical connection lug on the starter motor (not starter solenoid). The ign key system is being bypassed.

Quick Reply: All of a sudden no start