General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Baby Car Seat

Old 02-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Default Baby Car Seat

I'm installing a "rear-facing" child seat in our 2009 Toyota Camry and I'm using the latch system.

According to the car seat instructions, you should connect the lower latches together which I have done and then you should take the strap on the back of the child seat and attach it to a latch located on the floor of the car. I notice on the floor of the car, underneath the passenger seat, there is a piece of carpet you can pull up and a screw hole where you can attach this latch.

My question is...is there a specific latch Toyota provides or do I just go down and purchase a universal item?

Old 02-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know.

Suggest you first check the owners manual to confirm what you are seeing is a designated anchor point (or talk to a dealer).

For the latch availability talk to a Toyota dealer parts department.

My guess? is Toyota only supplies the latch points as this was all that was required law.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:37 AM
Thumbs up

May be you will get the solution from here:
The Car Seat Lady - The LATCH System

Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 AM

SpeedyCar03, your link does help me. It looks like the the Britax car seat I purchased is one of a handful sold in the US that support the rear facing car seat LATCH system. Turns out I'll have to create my own lower tether support. Thank you both for your replies.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

If you have not already call Britax support and ask if they sell a bracket and tether.

If no help you can buy what you need off the internet at site like the one below:

Ratchet Straps, Tie Down Straps, E Track Tie Downs, Moving Blankets & Pads, Cargo Straps, U.S. Cargo Control

Depending on how large of city you live in there could be places that make custom harness items.

Suggest not stating the purpose is a baby seat for liability issues, but auto cargo use only.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Kxs

Originally Posted by xtremeIX
I'm installing a "rear-facing" child seat in our 2009 Toyota Camry and I'm using the latch system.

According to the car seat instructions, you should connect the lower latches together which I have done and then you should take the strap on the back of the child seat and attach it to a latch located on the floor of the car. I notice on the floor of the car, underneath the passenger seat, there is a piece of carpet you can pull up and a screw hole where you can attach this latch.

My question is...is there a specific latch Toyota provides or do I just go down and purchase a universal item?
Were you able to figure out how to install an anchor on the ground? What was that cutout in the carpet for? I have a britax seat that I'm trying to install and made the same observations as you. I don't want to tether to the seat track, as it reduces the adjustable range of the passenger seat.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kxs
Were you able to figure out how to install an anchor on the ground? What was that cutout in the carpet for? I have a britax seat that I'm trying to install and made the same observations as you. I don't want to tether to the seat track, as it reduces the adjustable range of the passenger seat.
I didn't find anything official but, I did use the screw hole under the carpet as it's tied to the frame of the car and it works perfectly. You just have to locate a screw the fits the hole.

Search this Thread