General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Bulb Indicator - 99 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Default Bad Bulb Indicator - 99 Camry

Hey all, I had a '97 Camry that I absolutely loved but someone decided that traffic lights didn't apply to them and thus totaled it for us. Fortunately nobody was hurt.

I was able to replace it with a '99 Camry which will be just fine, I just have one little problem. The dash indicator that says I have a burned out bulb comes on the first time I hit the brakes and stays on until I shut the car off.

Because the light only comes on when I press the brake pedal, I thought it reasonable that the problem might be a burned out brake light. Trouble is they seem to be burning! I have brake lights left and right of the trunk lid and the center mounted one. Are the trunk lid lights also supposed to light up when I hit the brakes? If so both sides are out.

From what I can tell every exterior bulb seems to be working just fine. Suggestions?

Old 05-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

The bulb sensor can turn the dash indicator on for other reasons then a burned out bulb.

Check bulb and socket electrical contacts for corrosion.

Check the dual filament bulbs (combo tail and brake bulb) for a failed filament that is now physically contacting the other filament.

Check the wiring wire harness for rear tail/brake lights where it transitions from the trunk to the trunk lid for damage due to flexing.

A bulb filament can gain in electrical resistance resulting in the sensor setting the dash light.

If all is OK, the sensor itself can fail.