General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeder Valve broke off

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:33 AM
Default Bleeder Valve broke off

Any suggestions for removing a broken bleeder valve (I'm trying to bleed the brake system) ? Somehow all the brake fluid leaked out and I need to find the leak and fix it. It's an older car (1990) so it's a fairly good bet the other bleeder valves are going to be a challenge to get out.
I am contemplating buying a bolt extractor kit to see if I can screw it out that way. Alternatively, I'm thinking I could remove and replace the entire wheel cyclinder....is that feasible?
Any ideas??

Old 01-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

The valve broke off or did the hex portion the wrench grips round over?

Which brake, front or rear? Drum or disk style? Assuming it is a drum brake.

It is always possible to replace the cylinder, these are readily available aftermarket.

If taking the cylinder off make sure you take good notes on how all the parts were installed including installation of springs (direction and if the hook part of the spring faced inward/ outward/forward/back). Photos are also good.

Always use a 6 point box wrench when loosing the bleeder valve to help prevent stripping.

If you need to remove the brake line use a tube wrench to help prevent stripping of the tube fitting hex flats. This is a box wrench with a slot to allow it to fit over the tube.

If going the extractor kit route suggest using the largest diameter extractor possible. Meaning drill the hole in the valve body to the largest extractor size that can be used without damaging the threads. A larger hole will relieve more stress and allow a better grip.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:58 AM

Hi. The bleeder valve broke off, so I'll have to extract it and replace it with a new one. Rear wheel, passenger side. That's probably easier than taking the drum brakes all apart and replacing the wheel cylinder (although that would be good experience for me).
Hopefully I can get a good grip on the broken valve and it'll thread right out. I'm going to call the auto parts store to see if they've got new bleeder valves that'll fit.
Are the wrenches you mentioned (box and tube) the same as 'flare nut' wrenches? I need some of 'em. I'm assuming they provide a more effective grip on the heads of bolts than two-sided wrenches.
Thanks a bunch,

-Mike

Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Broken bleeder valves and rounded off brake lines fittings are common.

One thing to watch out for when using the extractor is to not break it off. I prefer the square extractor body design rather then one that looks like a spiral.

Yes, the tube and flare nut wrench are the same. It is just a box wrench with a slot and as you state provides a better grip.

If you have a harbor freight store in the area try them.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 AM

The rear brakes (which are drum brakes) have bleeder valves that are more difficult to access than the front brakes (which are disc brakes with calipers). They are tucked up on the wheel cyclinder on the inside of the hub.
Both of them proved to be too far-gone to extract (the bolt extractor kit I bought for $20.00 didn't seem to work at all). I ended up just buying a new wheel cylinder for each side (priced at around $20.00 apiece).
It is worthwhile to note that the drum brakes only have to be partially disassembled in order to replace the wheel cyclinder.
The bleeder valves on the front (disc) brakes were in excellent shape and threaded out quite nicely, which was a great relief!

Hey, thanks for your help!

-Mike

Old 02-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Nice going, thanks for posting back with your fix.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Default Broken Bleeder Valve 1997 Camry

So i am new to this whole DIY on fixing cars and lately have seem to have made it my after work hobby, but i have been running into problems left and right. Just earlier today my bleeder valve broke off when trying to loosen it to take off my "Break Light" by getting the air out of the master cylinder. Can anyone help. i dont know what to do next, it the front break on the passenger side, and the bleeder broke off so close that i couldn't even use pliers to try to take it out from there. Any help given is very appreciated. thank you.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 PM

Great!I learn something new again... did you put it on vid?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

The internet has many posts on this. Search on:

broken bleeder valve removal

If using an easy-out use the type shown in the forum posts below:

Best way to remove a broken bleed valve - Nissan Titan Forum

Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 PM

I have seen information on how to change the bleeder screw if it broke off on the rear drum but not the calipers. Any info on that?
thanks again.

Quick Reply: Bleeder Valve broke off