General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-28-2015, 10:22 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

BLOWN HEAD GASKET

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Default More disappointment from Toyota

My family just experienced this same design flaw/block thread problem/expensive repair, and I ended up contacting the executive branch in California. Unfortunately even though the executive I spoke with, David Kenius (reachable at ph: 1(800) 331-4331, option 4, then option 6 to "report an experience you had a with a toyota vehicle") appears to have researched the issue, he did not deviate from the company line on this problem. If you've read some of the previous entries in this blog you know this already, but he stated that "the TSB was issued tells how to repair the problem" and "your vehicle was not under warrantee any longer". I'll paraphrase: we know there was a poorly designed engine block, but Toyota is not such a company anymore and we are not going to incur millions of dollars of expenses to accept responsibility for these poorly designed engine blocks even though our customers probably paid a premium for their toyota which was supposed to be a quality vehicle. At this point, I'ld simply advise any other effected user to call the executive number provided above and let them know how you feel, to get the repair done from a reliable local mechanic who experience installing the block inserts, and to never buy a toyota product again. - Dave

Old 02-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Default I've heard of this before too.

Originally Posted by tim96460
After checking around found out some disturbing news, there is a problem with the blocks and it doesn't look good.
[align=left] [/align]
I have actually heard of this happening before too. My mom has a 1992 with a 3 liter engine that I'm replacing a head-gasket in. Another mechanic friend of mine scared me by telling me that the Toyota 3 liters have a tendancy to rip the threads right out of their blocks, making it necessary to replace the block. I did a little research of my own & couldn't find any independent reference to this problem. That turned out to not be the case with my mom's Toyota. But now this is an independent source, & it's such on odd problem that I've nvr heard of before, but now this being another source, I'm inclined to believe it.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Default I've heard of this before too.

Originally Posted by tim96460
After checking around found out some disturbing news, there is a problem with the blocks and it doesn't look good.
[align=left] [/align]
I have actually heard of this happening before too. My mom has a 1992 with a 3 liter engine that I'm replacing a head-gasket in. Another mechanic friend of mine scared me by telling me that the Toyota 3 liters have a tendancy to rip the threads right out of their blocks, making it necessary to replace the block. I did a little research of my own & couldn't find any independent reference to this problem. That turned out to not be the case with my mom's Toyota. But now this is an independent source, & it's such on odd problem that I've nvr heard of before, but now this being another source, I'm inclined to believe it.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

The 3L issue may be the head gasket not head bolts. If you do replace the head gaskets suggest using a Toyota brand or a multilayer steel design.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Default Still believe a factory issue

I have made the case that one plant producing those engine blocks had a mechanical/production issue, not an engine design flaw.

However, that theory would be shot down if:

Only one plant produced all the engine blocks of that model, since not every engine in those model years failed.

On the other hand, if in fact these blocks were produced in more than one plant, it would be interesting if these failures can be attributed to one plant.

Most gear heads with older cars know that you can determine where an engine was made by either block casting numbers or trim tags.

Does anyone on this forum know if this holds true with Toyota?

It may be a moot point since Toyota claims not foul and who can really complain about an engine failing at 120k.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by zulu2
I have made the case that one plant producing those engine blocks had a mechanical/production issue, not an engine design flaw.

However, that theory would be shot down if:

Only one plant produced all the engine blocks of that model, since not every engine in those model years failed.

On the other hand, if in fact these blocks were produced in more than one plant, it would be interesting if these failures can be attributed to one plant.

Most gear heads with older cars know that you can determine where an engine was made by either block casting numbers or trim tags.

Does anyone on this forum know if this holds true with Toyota?

It may be a moot point since Toyota claims not foul and who can really complain about an engine failing at 120k.

If you look on the 1st page of this thread, you will find a reference that somebody looked into that & found that the block failures were from more than 1 plant.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Williams
If you look on the 1st page of this thread, you will find a reference that somebody looked into that & found that the block failures were from more than 1 plant.
I looked over the first 2 pages of the thread and did not see that mentioned. Can you find it and quote here?

I may just be missing it ( I never was a good reader)

Thanks

Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

The thread is about the 2AZFE engine.

Some speculate insulation on the intake manifold is causing uneven heating in the area where the bolt threads are pulling out.

Toyota's response was a new block design.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by mag176
The car was dealer maintained for the first 47,000 miles, I took it over after that because we moved. What the tech is telling me is that the gasket blew because the head bolts are loose. They are pulling the threads right out of the block. It’s going to have a short block installed later in the week. Im told they are fixing the ones that are caught under warranty, tough luck to everyone else. If anyone can hook me up with info about other owners,tsb or any like info I would appreciate it.
Thanks again, Mark
This quote is from page 2 of this thread.

Since this is a common problem with these, they probably removed the valve cover, & they would have had to remove the cams too, to check the head bolts. They can do that for diagnosed purposes, without removing the intake manifold. To remove the head, they will still have to remove the intake manifold, but to diagnose this common problem, it's not necessary.
However, they should still be covering this under warranty.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Williams
This quote is from page 2 of this thread.

Since this is a common problem with these, they probably removed the valve cover, & they would have had to remove the cams too, to check the head bolts. They can do that for diagnosed purposes, without removing the intake manifold. To remove the head, they will still have to remove the intake manifold, but to diagnose this common problem, it's not necessary.
However, they should still be covering this under warranty.
Where does it imply that the blocks were produced in more than one plant?

Quick Reply: BLOWN HEAD GASKET