General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:22 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine
Print Wikipost

BLOWN HEAD GASKET

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:28 PM

Yes the Time-Sert kit for the toyota does look good.
http://www.timesert.com/html/toyota.html read more here.
It can be used for anything M11x1.5 like the honda/ acura / GM / ect..

Old 12-11-2009, 03:42 PM

The kit shown is the repair kit for the Cadillac Northstar which uses the same M11X1.5 head bolt thread as the Toyota 2.4L 2AZ-FE. The kit for the Toyota 2.4L 2AZFE is basically the same, but comes with 11 inserts rather then the 21 shown in the picture. You will find there is a huge advantage to using the NS300L™ kit over other repair methods on the market. Most other repairs on the market use the same fine thread as the head bolt....the same fine thread that failed in the first place.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Default Blown head gasket

I dont think that you have a carb problem, I think you have a compression issue. I agree with the mechanic that said you have a blown head gasket. The white smoke is from it leaking coolant into the cumbustion chamber. The couple things that come to mind is to not drop the cam chain into the block and to make sure you tighten bolts down in the correct order.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:45 PM

bump.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 PM

D.Oxing
Blown head gaskets show one or more of the following symptoms:
1. Low compression in two adjacent cylinders 2. Coolant mixing with engine oil (looks like a mocha milkshake) 3.Excessive steam and coolant coming out the tail pipe(s) 4. Engine miss (from low compression and/or wet plugs) 5 Coolant and or oil leaks at the mating area between the engine block and cylinder head(s). 6 Combustion gasses in the coolant.
I have replaced cylinder head gaskets on many makes and models. Some are easy and some are...indescribable in this forum.
I also have a Toyota Camry (1993 XLE V6 [3VZ-FE]) that 2 days ago started blowing coolant out the tail pipes at just over 160,000 miles. To learn that the threads might be pulling out of the aluminum is, ah, frustrating. I'll start pulling the heads this weekend and find out what's going on with it. I haven't pulled apart an engine in 10 years, so this should prove interesting. As far as difficult, it looks sort of mean; I've certainly taken apart engines that look much simpler than this one. The same old rules apply, though: READ THE MANUAL. Mark everything prior to removal. Take your time on the first one--speed comes with experience. I'm more worried about warped heads and repairing any threads than anything else. If either of those happen to be true, I'd just as soon get a used motor on Ebay.
And long for the days when motors were made out of iron...

Old 01-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

The thread pulling issue is for later model engine 2AZ-FE.

The 3VZ-FE would be a head gasket issue.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:02 AM

first time poster, I have a 02 camry 4cyl. already had a used engine installed from an 03 solara 10 months ago. in this "new" motor i have had a low coolant issue that started just long enough after installation to not have an argument at the mechanic. my wife actually drives the car and she called me yesterday and said she had no heat I traded cars with her right after we switched, the car over heats so i pull over in an abandoned lot let it cool then continue the next 1/4 mile a pull over and am able to add water. starts to be okay. upon further inspection there is oil on the motor behind the header(this may not be totally new) and like everyone else antifreeze steam coming from back right of motor. Question: Do I have reason to complain since this is not the original motor to begin with not to mention the first one was replaced to a similar sludge issue some already mentioned? If i get told by my mechanic the worst possible outcome should I suck up the loss and get rid of it(my mechanic is a guy i trust pretty good)

Last edited by gser425; 01-22-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: add info
Old 01-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

The Solara is called the Camry Solara and has the same engine.

The issue may be with the engine head bolt threads as posted on this site.

There is always the possibility the leaking coolant could be from a hose, loose hose clamp, heater hose, heater valve, etc. The engine was removed and reinstalled thus the coolant hoses, etc were disconnected and reinstalled. It would be easy for a mechanic to check out.

If it is the head gasket area leaking AND your mechanic was the one obtaining the motor I suggest you have a talk with him. He could not be assumed to be able to determine if this problem was going to happen but he did obtain the engine and should assume some responsibility even if the problem was not his fault. He should also have known about the head bolt thread problems.

You are the customer and have I assume no knowledge of Toyota engines or their design defects.

If it is the head bolt threads you might do some number crunching. This being the reduced value of the car that now needs repair or having it repaired by your mechanic. There are thread kits available to repair the threads (guessing around $150). The engine would also need new head bolts.

Labor would be the vast majority of the cost but perhaps you could negotiate this down

Old 02-22-2010, 01:56 AM

Hello,

I own a 1995 Camry with a 4 cylinder 5S-FE engine and 136,000 miles on it. It recently started billowing white smoke that smells like burning antifreeze for a few seconds after startup, so I'm looking into replacing the head gasket. After reading this thread, I am concerned about whether or not my car has the dreaded stripped head bolt threads problem. Since I am in college, I was going to replace the head gasket myself over spring break to save money. What symptoms should I be on the look out for in order to tell if my car is cursed? Is this problem even a concern with my engine? Any help or guidance y'all could give would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. As a senior in mechanical engineering, I have been told for years to design bolts that are softer than and will break before what they are screwed into does. This problem is definitely a design flaw and should NEVER have made it into production.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Default Blown head gasket?

Dude,

I’m not a mechanic. There may be others who can comment on this thread that may provide you more value mechanically. I had an issue with an antifreeze leak on the backside of the engine block along the firewall. The diagnosis was a cracked cylinder head…That turned out to be incorrect. There was nothing wrong with the head.

As time went on the engine ran but it began to rumble intermittently as air moved around with the coolant. I kept it topped off and had no indication that it wasn’t the cylinder head until it was taken apart. Once it’s pulled apart it can’t be put back together.

They make a type of after market replacement bolts that can be used to re-thread the holes in some models. That would not work on my 4 cylinder Camry 1999 engine because there wasn’t enough room between he side wall and the existing hole, or so I was told. I wound up purchasing a replacement engine from the junk yard. That was around $4500 installed. I was not a happy Toyota customer before it was fashionable.

I hope for your sake it is just a head gasket…

All the best. KM

Quick Reply: BLOWN HEAD GASKET