General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camry suggestions - 92-96

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Default Camry suggestions - 92-96

Hi, I'm looking for some advice for what to look for regarding Camrys of generation years 1992 to 1996.

Is this category sufficient for that?

I'm thinking to find the exterior of the car as spotless as possible and be a bit more forgiving or compromising with regards to mileage although still trying to get something lower than 300,000kms.

Also, I hope to get a top of the line so can someone tell me which models include that? I believe LE, for one.

Anyway, I researching it right now but if anyone has anything to add, it would be appreciated.

I'm also comparing to the Honda Accord as the Accord and Camry are my top two autos to consider. I hope it's okay to say that. I have not owned either one yet but the year or generations, I am considering are similar years, 93 to 97 for Accords and 92 to 97 for Camry.

Any comments?

Old 10-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

The 92-96 Camry was a very good generation. The luxury model is the XLE; thought the low cost was the DX. The LE is the most popular model sold.

An internet search may turn up Edmonds reviews for when this car first came out including options, engines, etc.

Toyota had a few V-6 options in the early years then later only offered the 1MZ-FE. If getting a V6, this engine is the better one to get in part as was used beyond 2002. The 3VZ-FE and 2VZ-FE models were only used for a couple of years.

The V6 option has larger front disks and I thought rear disks. Rear disks were an option perhaps on the XLE.

The 4 cylinder engine is a 5S-FE used from around 1992-2001. A very good engine, built for economy and suburb driving. Overall MPG around 26.

The 1MZ-FE is also a good engine and gets something around 22ish.

If you were going to be pulling a trailer, mountain roads, etc, the V6 would be a better choice. For commuting, etc, the 4 cylinder is more then OK.

The ToyotaNation website has a Generation 3 Camry section, by reviewing posts you can get an idea of what goes wrong with the car over time.

One issue with the 5S-FE and 1MZ-FE engines of this later year range was oil sludge (overrated but still possible). An internet search will turn up more info on this issue. If worried about this pull a valve cover to check for sludge.

Make sure the auto trans fluid was changed at least at 100K (US miles), every 40K is better. Not changing the fluid will cause it to fail.

The Honda of these years are also good cars. As Camry if kept up they will last a long time.

I find the Honda to be more nimble when driving. The Accord had 4 wheel disk brakes on the EX and a few other models. Most likely standard with the V6.

Fuel economy is lower at around 22ish, the engine has as much or more HP as the 4 cylinder Camry. 4-cylinder engine HP seems to vary slightly with model. The 4 cylinder is a very good engine and was used number of years (a common engine model). I don’t know much about the optional V6.

For both car models the 4-cylinder engines are easier to work on then V6 as there is much more room to get around. Honda appears to have a slightly different engine setup in the EX (same engine but perhaps more HP). The V6 engines have a much tighter fit!

One thing I don’t like about the Honda is to replace the front brake disks the hubs need to be pulled off, a real pain. You might check what year Honda changed to a design similar to Camry (and most other cars) that allows the caliper to slide off the hub making an easy change.

There is a Hondaaccordforum and Hondaforums where you can also ask your questions and review posts about what can go wrong.

Both cars frames will rust if exposed to too much road salt, such as the eastern states.

I suggest any car you are really interested in should be given a once over by a mechanic or friend who is very familiar with the model and can check those items that typically wear out.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Default high mileage and availabilty?

toyomoho, that was really helpful! So far, my problem is finding vehicles in decent condition, relatively low mileage and preferably, V6! Oh, and affordable always helps.

Currently, there's more Accords to choose from than Camrys (of the similar years or generations - '92 to '96/'97). I also wonder if I should consider parts and insurance costs comparisons.

Many or most of the used Camrys of those years are the I4 2.2L variety. I guess that's okay but I was hoping to find a V6 gem among them.

The main concern, then, is whether it's worth it to buy one with high mileage. If over 200,000 miles is worth it if the condition is decent. If there's over 200K on the body, the engine can always be replaced later on but that is a future expense (of at least $1000?). Or do I look for a car with 200,000 to 250,000 with decent body (which will be harder to find without a large price increase).

With more Accords to choose from, I was looking at more Accords only because the number of Camrys seem to be sparse although that might be a good sign that the Camrys are good so they're being kept by owners more often (but, it's not good for me looking, though!).

Old 10-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

How much money do you want to spend?

Are you going to be doing all your own repairs?

After say (130K US miles) things start to wear out with Camry. By reading posts at the Toyotanation website for this generation of car you will get an idea of what wears out and what to look for on any car you are interested in.

A lot of these issues are normal wear and tear but if your not doing your own work, costs can add up. It is not like the car just fails apart after so many years due to cheap manufacturing or design.

If the car is maintained it can go 300K (US miles).

The 4 cylinder would be the most common engine. Keep in mind when gas prices go up, the engine will be getting better MPG and would be easier to sell.

Camry prices and condition seem to be local issue. There are a lot of Camry for sale, perhaps just not in your area.

You might up the figure for engine replacement. You might be able to rebuild the engine yourself for say $1500. A used engine may be cheaper then this but then there is labor.

I assume you are stating miles in KM. A 200,000 KM car may be hard to find. These cars are getting up in age. From looking at prices here you are only talking a few $1000 (US) more between the best and worst cars of a given year (excluding junkers). Would think you could pickup a very decent car for under $3500 (US). Less for more early years. Same for Honda Accord.

If you have the money suggest you look for the car you want and pay a little more for one in good condition. Even doing your own work, parts cost add up. It is possible to spend the difference between a good car and one that need fixing on parts to repair it.

If going the fixer upper route and doing your own labor, find a car whose price is steeply discounted. Many people can't do their own work, auto shop repairs can be very high, there is a recession going on, people need money. There is no shortage of Camry or Accord, but you may need to shop around and wait for a good deal.

For Camry after 200,000 km issues become if the trans fluid and engine oil were changed. These are the two major components. If so mechanically the car should last a lot longer.

Or if the car has more miles, what has been repaired or replaced (repair records) by the previous owners.

It is not like either Accord or Camry can go 300,000 (US miles) without things wearing out. Not like the old days of Toyota trucks which ran forever.

Again with Accord, check if later years had a front brake design change.

If your planning an engine change. Make sure you understand what engines what year of engines can be swapped out. Toyota used the same model engines but they changed the design slightly, this can narrow down the replacement range you can use for any specific year. Not sure about Honda but assume the same is true.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 AM

I was hoping to find a car @ or below $3K. I checked engines and for a 1MZ 3.0L engine for '94 to '96 Camry, it seems to range $500 to $1000 for just the engine (?). I suppose labor boosts that up to? I guess this route is an option if I go with a higher mileage vehicle if the body and underside is in good shape?

I registered and posted to ToyotaNation and received good advice there! I found the site after noticing things are a bit slow here. Maybe because of spam? But, at least, you replied and since the forum is specific to Camrys, I really hoped to receive some replies!

I discovered the '94 (for e.g.) Camry has the lowest insurance of the cars I was interested in (including Honda Accord and Nissan Maxima of '94 vintage). Interesting! I guess the Camry is low on the theft list. This is fine with me. I really would like to find a '94 to '96 Camry w/ V6 engine in decent condition with hopefully no rust. I know this will be difficult at my budget but I will try. I thought if I make the body/mechanical condition the priority and compromise a bit on mileage, I can always do an engine swap later if I can raise the money.

I can do some jobs on my own. 'Depends on what is needed. I've done brakes, oil changes, replaced starters, ball joints, and other basic repairs so far although I've usually had help. I found what appears to be a '92 to '96 Camry online manual so that might help. Any car I buy used will probably need work at some point in time so I was hoping the Camry would minimize the frequency. In the past, I have taken whatever car was available locally but this time I am narrowing it down to a Camry and researching what to look for and what issues there might be etc. I'm trying to be smart about the search and research so hopefully it pays off in the end. Again, one problem is not having a vehicle to go to the place where the Camrys are being sold but what can I do? I'll just try to be patient and wait until I find a decent Camry for a price I can afford.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, spam has taken over. The result of lack of interest by the site owners, Internet Brands.

The 94-96 are good years.

You should be able to find something in this price range and do the repairs yourself.

For mail order discount parts I use Rockauto and 1sttoyota, these are US companies.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:35 AM

Hey, toyomoho, could you comment on '97 to '00 Camrys? I am considering them, too, now. I'd like a newer car so added them to my alternatives.

Of course, it would be a V6. I'm comparing Camrys of that era to a '98/'99 Maxima. I am wondering how a Camry owner/fan would compare those.

I suspect I would buy parts from a junkyard but I'm not sure which car is more plentiful at recyclers, perhaps either? Anyway, I am aware of the 1MZ-FE engine concerns like the oil gelling or oil sludge. Is that easy to spot? What do I look for?

Thanks in advance for any advice and comments!

Old 11-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

The 97-2000 should be about the same as the previous generation. Toyota kept the same engines models and trans combos (with some improvements in design).

Toyota changed the 4 cylinder engine model in 2002.

Very minor changes were made in 2001 such as the engines now meet California emissions standards.

I think extra side impact protection was added in 1998.

Toyota also started including side airbags, thus take note of what years had these.

If you send a Private Message with email address will send a file with the changes made between 97 and 2000

As I recall these cars were made before Toyota went into the price (and perhaps quality) cutting mode.

Pretty much all is know about these cars, for posts on what can go wrong review them at the Toyotanation website, Generation 4, Camry section.

Sludge issues were very overstated, however Toyota denied there was a problem and as such it grew to being a class action law suit. The details, effected engine and years can be found by doing a Google search. As I recall it effected engines built between 1996 and 2001. Any extended warranties have long expired.

Sludge effected a small amount of engines, less then 1%.

Sludge issues appear to be a combination of extended oil change intervals and an a revised engine design that had hot spots or poor oil return drainage to the pan allowing oil to get hotter. Never did read an "official" post from Toyota about the cause.

Sludge issues of course are not limited to Toyota products, other car manufacturers have had them.

To help check for sludge a first step is reviewing any maintenance records to determine when/if the oil was changed on a regular basis.

Removing a valve cover is the best and easiest physical way to determine if sludge is present. This would typically be the front one as the rear is much more difficult to take off. The other option is more difficult, removing the oil pan.

If the valve train assy is clean, the engine should be OK. The internet has posts of what sludge looks like.

On any engine with miles you are typically going to have a very, very thin film of brown oil debris on surfaces, must be oxidized oil. It is not thick enough to effect operations and is "glued" to the engine surfaces (not going anywhere).

Sludge is thick grime, much different! It can over time plug everything up and cause the piston rings to stick in their piston grooves. The result can be oil starvation due to plugged supply lines, plugged oil pump intake screen (oil pressure light can comes on) and high oil consumption.

I don't know about the Maxima. Would state the Camry is not a sports car, it was designed as passenger car. The suspension is firm, as in you feel the bumps.

The SE version of Camry had suspension and steering gear ratio changes, but limited engine options. The Avalon used the same V6 engine, trans and body and was the luxury "Camry" addition. This combination was also used for a Lexus model.

Owners have of course have tried to improve handling, tires would be good start. Not sure I would lower the car as too many ill side effects can result.

There is a host of items out there for suspension, brakes, improvements.

In my opinion the car handles poorly in snow and ice, but this is not typically a problem around this area.

You might try to find one to drive. I find being short I sit low in the car as in a bathtub, I can't see the front or back of the car but one gets used to this.

Parts should be readily available from junkyards or on the aftermarket. Again the Avalon and a Lexus version share the same V6 engine, trans and frame.

It's a good car, but not a sports car. As I recall it was only in the later years Toyota started equating the car with handling, etc. Prior to this it was a family car, that handled better then the boat type luxury cars.

One other issue as I may have noted in prior messages. Make sure the trans fluid was changed at least every 60K miles (30K is better). Toyota never listed a miles, thus many owners never changed the fluid. The result can be problems say after 120-140K miles.

Along with the file having changes to the design between 1997 and 2001 can send a list of items to check for when inspecting a Camry. Certain things do wear out. Again a review of posts at the Toyotanation website will provide what wears out and goes wrong.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The 97-2000 should be about the same as the previous generation. Toyota kept the same engines models and trans combos (with some improvements in design).

If you send a Private Message with email address will send a file with the changes made between 97 and 2000

As I recall these cars were made before Toyota went into the price (and perhaps quality) cutting mode.

Pretty much all is know about these cars, for posts on what can go wrong review them at the Toyotanation website, Generation 4, Camry section.

One other issue as I may have noted in prior messages. Make sure the trans fluid was changed at least every 60K miles (30K is better). Toyota never listed a miles, thus many owners never changed the fluid. The result can be problems say after 120-140K miles.

Along with the file having changes to the design between 1997 and 2001 can send a list of items to check for when inspecting a Camry. Certain things do wear out. Again a review of posts at the Toyotanation website will provide what wears out and goes wrong.
I'll send you a pm with my email address.

I was wondering what my chances are of finding a 1999 or 2000 in good condition, V6 XLE model, with under 200,000km but not more than $3,500. I'm in Canuckland so at least a couple months of snow and ice, maybe 3.

I'm looking at mostly Camrys, 1999 to 2000, V6 though, although I hope to find a LE or XLE model, and 1998 to 1999 Maximas (has to be SE or GLE, though). I thought the 1999 to 2000 Camrys would be a better chance at a good car as it's after the '97 redesign. The Maximas I listed were the last of that generation but still recent.

I am noting the threads that deal with the Camry issues in this forum and one other Toyota forum. Thanks for the info! The ways to assess the engine is particularly helpful. It seems like the most serious issue. I guess the tranny sometimes might, too, but like you said, it is better if one can be provided the service history records. Makes a big difference, right?

Old 11-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

You might check sites like Craigslist or Edmonds for car prices, the tend to vary with location and local demand.

I sent the info via email.

Quick Reply: Camry suggestions - 92-96