General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car dies after warming up

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Unhappy Car dies after warming up

1999 Toyota Camry LE 4-cylinder

The entire story:

Before Crisis: Starting the car and before it warms up I drive off in a hurry

May 19, 2009 - I got off work at 4:30pm and started driving home from work, I did not warm up the car before driving it. After about 7-10 minutes of driving I noticed the car engine kind of jerking like it was losing power ( it has done this before ), I had cruise control on at the time, then it felt like no matter how hard I hit the gas, the rpm and engine were not moving at all. I pulled over on the side of the road and I could not restart the car, every time I tried to start the rpm meter would drop to 0 and thus the car would die, I took it to the toyota dealership ( where I have done business before ) and they checked it and told me I had blown one of the spark plug wires and the spark plugs I used in the vehicle ( changed 6 years ago ) were incorrect. So I paid them to have this changed because the car was at their shop already and it was not drive-able.

May 20, 2009 - I receive a call at 4:00pm from the Toyota Service center stating they started the vehicle to give it a courtesy wash and that's when they noticed the car was still doing the same thing. They said it might be the timing belt ( my brother and I broke the timing belt and replaced it along with re-timing the belt, I know it was off a centimeter or so ) so they moved it 2 notches for free. Still the same problem, and now they are telling me it might be the water pump pulley, but I don't think that has anything to do with my issue ( please correct me if needed ). So I decided to just take the car and try to fix it myself, luckily I made it 2 blocks from home before the car died again.

I have been told it could be 2 things from my brother, hes a mechanic in california, the ALTERNATOR or DISTRIBUTOR.

Any HELP would be appreciated PLEASE ~ !!!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:52 PM

If the car dies alltogether, no power to anything after it dies than its your alternator. This is probably an issue with your car goig inyo closed loop once its warm. While cold your engine uses preset calibrations for fuel mixture and such, but in closed loop it recieves input from sensors such as your oxygen sensor, mass air flow sensor, etc. have all your sensors checked at a dealer and show them this post. Im pretty sure a sensor is at fault.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:10 AM

Thanks Notahonda, I also know i have 2 oxygen sensors, and those have been bad for a very long time, Since moving from California away from the emissions test I got lazy about replacing them, guess I have to do that now, I will report my results here later.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:59 PM

UPDATE: Changed out O2 Sensor, no more CHECK ENGINE light though, ran vehicle for a while, then problem started again.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:21 PM

First thing you need to do is determine is do you have spark after it dies. That would give you some direction. If you're getting a bright blue spark at the plug then you'll need to look at fuel.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by pedro
First thing you need to do is determine is do you have spark after it dies. That would give you some direction. If you're getting a bright blue spark at the plug then you'll need to look at fuel.
Do you mean, check the spark plugs to see if they give off a bright blue spark, then yes they are giving that off after the vehicle dies, but now I am lost at your second suggestion, look at fuel?

Old 05-23-2009, 03:12 PM

Well if you're getting a good spark then I'd look for fuel. Fuel could be lack of pressure when hot, TPS, even flooding from bad engine coolant temp sensor (easy to test with OHM meter). If bad sensor then the spark plugs will be wet. The next time it fails remove the intake tube and have a helper spray carb cleaner down the throttle body (remove the straw so it won't go down the intake) as you start it and see if you can get it to run, even for a short time. If it stays running as you spray cleaner (don't flood it) then for sure it's a lack of fuel. I believe the fuel pump can be heard with the key on run, but just because the pump can be heard does not mean you have pressure. You may have to listen inside the trunk or the back seat or under the car. If no fuel pump sound then it could be a failed fuel pump. The best would be to get the fuel pressure tested when it fails, but I doubt you have the equipment. If it is the fuel pump then it could be fuel pump relay not the pump, you'll need to do some tracing.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:58 PM

Could cleaning the Throttle Body possibly help?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:22 AM

Cleaning the throttle body is to correct idle issues, not the problem you have.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 PM

FIXED Update - After 4 people told me to change the "TWO IGNITION COILS", that fixed the problem, and cleaned the throttle while I was at it, I believe when the spark plug wire got shot, it also took the ignition coil with it, so THE END.

P.S. Thank you pedro and Notahonda for your assistance

Quick Reply: Car dies after warming up