General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car stopped working, makes zzzz noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:37 AM
Exclamation car stopped working, makes zzzz noise

Camry Lovers,

I rotated the tires on my 98 Camry LE 4 cyl before going into work, and afterwards went to a drivethru to grab a bite to eat. I noticed that when I applied the brakes normally everything was, well, normal; however, when I applied more pressure to the brakes it made some strange clunk/jerk noises. Other then that it felt ok so I continued to work thinking I'll check it out later.

After an hour went by I attempted to go from one property to another, but before leaving the first property I drove around it to make sure the doors were secure. Right before I reached the gate my car stalled (died, kicked the bucket, stopped working...) yet everything electrical stayed on, and the clock had the correct time, so I was pretty sure it was not the battery.

I tried to restart once and it sounded like it was cranking ok, but not turning over. After that I pushed it into a parking spot and opened the hood. I didn't see anything obviously wrong so I tried again, and this time it starting cranking like the last but very abruptly changed to a loud sort of a ZZZZ/Hiss noise. Now any time I try to crank it that is the noise it makes. I haven't had much of a chance to look around or try anything under the hood as I am still at work and my colleague picked me up to take me to the other property. If any one has some helpful hints or suggestions I would be much appreciative.

Thanks!

-Dead98

Old 08-01-2011, 04:00 AM
Default Forgot to mention

I forgot to mention that my vacuum (air intake) hose is pretty much sliced in half, and I didn't have time to check if it was clogged... could this cause what is described above?

By the way:
-there is gas in the car (I made sure of that ).
-the battery works and is connected (9 months old).
-the engine is a 2.2.
-the timing belt was replaced 70,000 miles ago (could this be the culprit?).
-I had a sparkplug burst out of its resting place about 10 months ago, so I replaced all plugs and the boots (haven't checked em yet).

Old 08-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Need more info.

Have someone crank the engine over while you listen under the hood for the ZZZZ noise.

Which vacuum hose, the large diameter one going to the throttle body. Sliced in half (splice in two) where it should connect to the throttle body. If so this should not cause starting issues.

When cranking the engine also check for ign spark.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:47 PM

Thanks, I will check on those things when I can get to my car later today.

It is the largest hose - the last tech that worked on the car noticed a tear in that hose and told me it was not a big deal but if it got worse to go ahead and replace it. he said it shouldn't be able to clog very easily. with the size of the tear now it is possible that leaves could fit through it.

updates to come. my colleague suggested it may be the fuel pump or the starter, should I check those too?

Old 08-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Is this the hose?

More Information for DORMAN 696706

The starter might make the noise but only when the engine is starting, not running.

A bad starter is not going to cause the engine to quit.

A bad fuel pump could.

Look in the engine compartment to determine if there is small plastic box mounted on one of the strut tower. If so open the box and look for the FP and B+ terminals. Jumping these terminals with electrical wire will allow the fuel pump to turn on when the ign key is on the ON position. Doing this will allow testing the pump.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:01 PM

That is the right hose.

I was thinking if it is making that noise and it also turned off it could be possible for multiple problems to exist. Would the fuel filter be able to stop the car from running? I was also told by a service writer that it could be an alternator that causes that noise. thoughts?

Anyway I still haven't been able to stop by and check on the car since I had to drive a company vehicle 400+ miles last night. Maybe tonight.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:22 AM

I tried starting the car when I arrived at work today, and it almost started. After a second attempt it started making the same noise as it did last time. Didn't have enough time to check the fuses yet. Got a few more days in my work week then I am home free to mess with it as much as I need to get it fixed. First thing I will try is (fuses since I haven't checked them yet) the fuel filter. If that doesn't do it I am back to the drawing board on diagnosing the problem. Maybe the pump.

According to Toyota service writer (remain unnamed) the noise I hear when attempting to start the car has something to do with the starter or the alternator. Any thoughts on how that would stop the car from running though?

Another person I talked to suggested the distributor (not sure if he meant just the cap or the whole thing).

Old 08-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

If the intake hose is ripped unfiltered air can enter the engine. Use duct or electrical tape to seal up the rip.

A leaking hose my cause noise but should not cause engine operational problems.

Use a section of rubber hose as a stethoscope and have some one start the engine while you listen to the alternator and starter.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:25 PM

UPDATE:

Changed the fuel filter and had to replace the fuel line going into the filter as that was worn down and had begun to spray gasoline all over the damn place. Unfortunately that has not fixed the problem. After disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, I tried to start the car, then hooked up to sensor which had nothing to display. After that a neighbor came about and said it could be the timing belt.

As per his instructions I took the #1 spark plug out, connected it to the wire set and watched as someone tried to start the car. No spark. the plugs are within 9 months, but I might take them to have them tested anyway. Neighbor man said if they work and there is no spark then its most likely the timing belt. True?

Right now I am calling up people I know who can do the work as I cannot, and getting quotes. The cheapest so far seems to be $300. One of my ex-coworkers from a dealership (master mechanic) advised me to change the water pump at the same time as the belt since they are associated with each other, is this true?

I also need to replace: Air filter, alternator belt, power steering belt and change oil (just past the mileage) :/ (those are all things that I saw while under the hood).

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated as I will have to choose between paying half my bills this month and doing the timing belt, or waiting to repair car and paying all bills on time. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks!
-Dead98

Old 08-08-2011, 06:29 PM

P.S. The hose has been repaired (duct tape). the person assisting with the work says that the alternator and starter are working fine, and I trust his acumen when it comes to mechanical stuff. Would the starter or the Alternator show up on the scan when I hooked it up? It came back clean.

Quick Reply: car stopped working, makes zzzz noise