General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car wont start!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Default Car wont start!!!

I will run the play by play. I left work last night topped off my gas tank, bought a new gas cap because I have a code of some sort something with emissions and they told me I needed a new gas cap. I changed my brake pads today. car ran fine. I went to check my mail left the car running came back it was off. Tried to start and got it on one time and it like bogged down. Now it just makes the starting sound and does nothing. Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 09-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Default RE: Car wont start!!!

Not much to go on. Didn't even tell us the year and engine.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:33 PM

my bad its a 96 LE with 2.2L auto.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:55 AM

Pull off the distributor cap and see if the rotor is turning as you crank the engine - no turn then your timing belt is broken. If not that then pull a plug, ground it on the engine with plug wire attached, and see if you get a bright blue spark. If not then we'll have to trace why not.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:09 PM

Well before I got that last message I had the car towed to my toyota dealership and they will get to it monday. I really hope its not the timing belt. I really think its notgetting any fuel they way it was acting. If the timing belt broke I don't think I would have been able to start the car up again and it run untill it bogged down again. thanks for help any other thoughts let me know

Old 09-14-2008, 12:28 PM

My guess is fuel pump or something in the fuel pump circuit, ie...relay. Good luck with your repair.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:08 AM

So the car is at the dealership right now and they said they think it has bad gas in it. They said they would drop the tank and change the filter and put new gas in it. They clam it would be around $400 to do the job this seems kinda high don't you think.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:07 AM

I understand that on a 96 the "filter" in the tank is just a screen to keep rocks out. Does this car have a separate filter under the hood, DS under brake master cylinder? What do they mean by "bad gas"? Water in gas? Crap in gas that would clog the filter/screen? Did they have to access the tank by removing it, or is there a hatch under the seat? My information says there is an access under the rear seat for the fuel pump and that there is a separate filter under the hood. What was the fuel pressure before they decided to remove the tank? Dealerships charge high hourly rates because of higher overhead and just-because. Check on their hourly rate. I would also get them to justify the ACTUAL time they spend on the car because typically charged hourly ratescan behigher by about an average of 30% above actual time. Charged hourly rates are taken from a rate book, ask to see the book and times. An $18 Haynes Manual would give you valuable info.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:27 PM

Well they already did the work yes they dropped the tank and the gas was BLACK!!! yes black so they changed the filter and cleaned the tank, lines, and put new gas in. They also said my timing was off so they they changed my timing belt and drive belt I think. The grand total work was 658.35 and that was parts, labor, and getting my car towed. But it runs YAY

Old 09-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Do some checking on on the station you think sold the bad gas. The station or gas supplier can be held liable for selling bad gas. Often other patrons have the same issue, the result is a string of complaints often making it into to the local news.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car wont start!!!