General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light is on!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Unhappy Check engine light is on!!

Toyota 2004 LE- I purchased it 2 months ago. I'm back again with another problem. Now my "check engine" light stays on. Any ideas before I pay someone to check it out? Also, the illuminator is out at the base of my gear shift. I can't see to change gears at night. Can someone tell me if it might be a fuse or bulb? I can't find anything in my owner's manual. Help!! thanks!!! Single mom needs some help

Old 10-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Without having a reader hooked up to the check engine light computer system one can only make uninformed guesses at the problem.

The light being on means a trouble code linked to the problem is stored in the computer. Attaching a code reader to a wiring plug allows any codes to be scanned and presented on the reader.

Some auto parts stores will read the codes for free as as part of their customer support program and an inducement to purchase parts there.

Auto parts chain stores such as AutoZone typically will read the codes (expect in California), Shuck's/O'reilly autoparts stores may do this but suggest you call.

Try calling/asking around for stores that do this service for free.

A Toyota dealer will charge anywhere from $60-100 to read the codes. Independent shops may charge less, call around.

Before paying someone you might consider buying a code reader. Auto parts stores sell them, the cost would be less then having a dealer read the codes.

As to the light, if the console lights such as AC, heater, etc work the fuse is OK. To access the bulb requires removing a panel around the shifter arm. Removal is somewhat similar to the side seat belt panels, except this panel has plastic clips molded into to it.

The cup holder needs to be removed followed by the panel around the shift arm and hand brake.

A flat bladed screwed driver having a taped blade can be carefully used between the console panel around the shaft arm and parking brake to push back the plastic clip and gently pry up the panel. Work around the panel to gently pry it completely free. There are 8 clips. The cup holder has 1.

The bulb itself may be buried within the console mechanism requiring dexterity and patience to replace it.

Doesn't the dash console have indicator lights to show what gear it selected?

You can push the button on the shift console, pull the console back a number of gears to 2, or 1. Pushing forward with the shift button now out will result in the trans shifter stopping in neutral. Pull back one gear and this will be drive.