General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

compatibility between years

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Default compatibility between years

I recently picked up a 93 4 cylinder camry. Runs great but needs a few things to safety. I found a 96 4 cylinder camry for a good price, and was looking at picking it up. Just wondering if most or all the parts are interchangeable. Motor looks identical, but what about the exhaust? I need the exhaust mainly for the 93, and maybe the ABS sensors. I would like to keep the 96 motor as a spare since it actually has lower mileage. Any help would be great, thanks guys.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Sometime in 1994 Toyota changed the number of teeth on the crank and balance shaft gears. This just means if the 94 has the newer gears the 1993 crank can't be used a replacement.

For parts compatibility suggest looking up specific parts at sites such as Rockauto and comparing part numbers between years.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:08 PM

are you referring to swapping the crank into the new motor or using the entire motor won't work?

Since the parts car will be a 96 I assume it will most likely have the different design. I don't need the motor but its a spare.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

The crank and balance shaft, not the complete motor.

Also Toyota started modifying the ign system sometime after 1995 to include crank and cam sensors that picked up signals from the appropriate pulley. Might look for this difference on the the 1996.

The exhaust system and other engine design issues also depend on if the car was 49 state or California emissions certified.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:44 PM

both cars are Canadian, so the emission stuff should be the same. I am gonna have to go look at it and compare the two. Thanks guys.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:11 PM

ok looking at pics of the car for sale and comparing them to pics of my engine I see some differences.

First noticeable difference is the 02 sensor on the header. Looks like it sits much closer to the head on the 96, on my 93 it sits closer to the otehr end of the header where it connects to the rest of the exhaust.

As long as the rest of the exhaust bolts up I should be good I think, if not I can swap headers too, just hope the change in 02 location doesn't change much, I don't see it causing a huge problem, aftermarket headers for Mustangs often move the 02 sensor.

Other thing is I notice my distributor has a connector on the top side of it, and I can't see that connector in the pic of the 96, might just be the angle and lighting of the pic in the ad, but is this the difference you were talking about with the cam sensor? From your post it seems they added this sensor in 95, if I read it right, but mine is a 93 and has it and the 96 appears not to have it.

One other question I have is in regards to the ABS, the light is on in my 93 but I think its due to sitting, it wasn't on when we brought the car home, plus the brakes are noisy now, so I think this is due to sitting for a few months. But was there any changges to the ABS or front spindles from 93-96? Also same question for any changes to the front and rear brakes between these years? These are the main things I want off the 96, the engine is a bonus if its good.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Toyota may have moved the coil into the distributor cap area for 1996.

The 1995 does NOT have a remote cam or crank sensor or a coil incorporated into the cap area.

I suggest you visit the Rockauto website and look up ABS sensors, rotors, calipers, bearings for the 1993 and 1996 to determine if they are the same by part number.

The ABS system has its own troubleshooting method that will display trouble codes.

Find a small black plastic box inside the engine compartment labeled "diagnostic." Might be near the drivers side shock tower area. Open the lid, look for a jumper pin, basically a connector that jumps two electrical terminal in the box.

Remove the pin (make sure you record where to reinstall it).

Use a section of wire to connect pins Tc and E1. The under side of the lid has the terminal key.

Turn on ign switch. If codes are present the ABS light will flash them out one numeral at a time. Such as code 21 = 2 flashes, pause, 1 flash, pause.

If more then one code is stored they will read out in numerical order. When all codes are read out they will repeat.

If no codes are stores the light will flash at a steady rate.

Once you get any codes post back.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:26 PM

rockauto is a great site.

Looks like most parts are interchangeable. Depending on what brand you buy the exhaust is the same, but with other brands they have different part numbers, but most are the same. Brakes are all the same, as well as the ABS sensors so thats good.

Looks like the front struts are different in the 96 but thats no biggy. The distributor did change in 96 by the looks of it, 92-95 are the same but 96 is different.

Looks like most of the car is interchangeable though so I am definitely going to take a close look at it and see whats good on the donor car.

Gonna read those codes and see what it says. I'll report back.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:41 PM

ok its not the ABS light thats on its the AIR BAG light.

I jumped TC and E1 and the AIR BAG light flashed a 41.

I tried to reset the AIR BAG light according to the instructions I found and its not clearing the code.

Last edited by Sprout; 08-11-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Did you use the reset procedure where you alternatively connect the Tc and AB wires to ground? If so it is very important you complete the procedure within the time limit.

If you can not clear the code, Code 41 means a center airbag assembly problem. The unit is located under the center console (area under the center glove compartment).

Note: if the airbag light is on, the airbag system is not working.

Quick Reply: compatibility between years