General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

compression

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Default compression

I am debating replacing the auto tranny in a 92 Camry 2.2 with 171K on it. I checked compression and from left to right, the cylinders run 115 - 105 - 105 - 105 psi. Is this good or bad.Should I sink 2K$ into a tranny. I don't seem to burn much oil at all. Mpg's are at 27. Would you do it ??

Old 03-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Default RE: compression

Specs state compression new to be 178psi. Minimum to be 142psi and max difference between cylinders 14psi. Your difference is OK but compression is low, as long as your gauge is accurate. Did you take the readings with hot engine? Leakage could be ring wear, valve sealing, and both. My compression hot is 155psi across the board, but I don't know how accurate my gauge is so I'm tracking changes year to year.

What areyour intensions on how long you want to keep this car? If you spend 2k on trans. and the engine needs work later will you also spend that and still feel good about it? With oil burning low and mpg that good, and I assume you pass emissions, I'd say run it till it dies. You can still spend 2k a year or two from now, OR, put 2k into new/er car.

Decisions, decisions.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:20 AM

My daughter limped home with the tranny dying in the driveway. dead. I took the readings for cylinder compression while the engine was cold, trying to decide whether the engine has enough life in it to drop 2K on the trans??? Should it have been hot or at least warm.??

Old 03-19-2008, 09:02 AM

The best way isas close to operating temp as possible. Access to plugs is easy so hot engine is not a problem. I drive mine until it reaches full operating temp, that is when the oil is fully hot. Just drive it about 15-20 minutes should be fine. Be sure to have a glove handy to handle hot plugs if need be. 2k for trans sounds way too much to put into this car. Can you get a junk yard trans with some sort of warranty? If you are relying on one of the national transmission shops for diagnosis and quote - buyer beware. I have never found them to want to do anything else but replace trans. at very high prices. Get second/third opinion.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

When doing the test make sure throttle plate is fully open.

Concur with Pedro on dealing with trans repair shops. Most have only one opinion this being that the trans needs to come out and an expensive repair. Can you describe the trans symptoms?

If you can do the work yourself, look around for a used trans or find someone parting out a wrecker.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:31 PM

Tranny will not move the car at all now forward or reverse. Just grinding and bad sounds coming from the trans. In park the engine sounds normal.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Check trans and differential fluid levels, could be no fluid in one or the other.

Check all CV joints on both axles, these can go bad and break.

If the trans is shot, the cheapest route is a used one. If the $2k price includes labor, this is not too bad. Is the shop going to rebuild this trans or an exchange? If exchange make sure there is not some kind of core charge added on if your is beyond repair.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:31 AM
Default Vibration

Guys can anyone help me with my car im trying to upload a video of my car

Old 01-21-2016, 05:25 PM

Mralzyoud

best make a new topic about this vibration

add what year camry

then you copy and paste the youtube link in your post

Old 01-22-2016, 03:50 AM
Default Thanks dirty hands

Thank you for your help.

Quick Reply: compression