General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant overflow reservoir question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Lightbulb Coolant overflow reservoir question

Hi - I have a 95 camry. I was wondering if the coolant overflow reservoir was completely empty could this cause any problems with the running of the vehicle?
Thanks

Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Air can get into the engines coolant system.

Do you know why the reservoir is empty?

Any current engine problems you think are related to the empty reservoir?

When engine is cold check the coolant level in the radiator, if low top it off along with the reservoir.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:08 PM

Hi Joey
No idea why its empty. I always top off the radiator when I'm under the hood. Never anymore than 1/4 C. But last time I noticed the coolant reservoir cap had popped off and it was bone dry. So I did top off both the radiator and reservoir with a cold engine.
The car did cut out (off and on) while I was on the highway. Didnt know if that was related? I always watch my gauges and never saw the temp gauge above the middle
so I don't think overheating was an issue.
Thanks
Kev

Old 03-27-2012, 10:02 PM

you sure it did not boil out? as expanding coolant pops expansion reservoir caps. If I were you, I'd run air bleeding procedure on your cooling system. Keep in mind, that gauge does not show it overheating means squat, things like this do malfunction.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:18 PM

My only warning that my water pump, thermostat and radiator were crashing came from a frequently empty reservoir tank. The overheating boils sends steam into the tank and boils off the water.

There have been discussions here on how to spot any of these faults. And don't forget the all-important radiator cap. Just to be on the safe side, I trashed the little hose coming from the coolant filling neck to the tank. Mine is a '94 V-6 and things are simply old.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

When the system is refilled with coolant check for leaks including on the upper radiator tank. The tank is plastic and can crack.

Make sure the hose between the radiator and reservoir is clear.

Ditto on checking the radiator cap.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by KEVAUG
Hi Joey
No idea why its empty. I always top off the radiator when I'm under the hood.
always top off with diluted antifreeze, 'cept in emergency.
freeze protection on those cheap gauges should be -34F

Old 03-28-2012, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the replies. Will check all suggested areas for leaks and bleed air. Hopefully
all will be good!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:20 AM

So after poking around quite a bit - I do have a very small leak in my overflow coolant reservoir. Does this effect performance? Is there an easy way to patch (looks like a pinhole drip) or do I need a new reservoir?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:54 PM

remove it, dry it out, and seal with JB weld from inside and outside. Let it harden for about 2 hrs and reinstall.

Quick Reply: Coolant overflow reservoir question