General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crankshaft bolt woes....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 11:15 PM
Default crankshaft bolt woes....

I'm trying to replace my timing belt water pump and all major oil seals around timing belt areas. I can't the the ctackshaft bolt off . It won't even budge. I tryed a air rachet gun with no luck. Do I need a air copressor with a bit more psi. The one I have puts out 90 psi. Also if anybody knows any tips or shortcuts on getting the crankshaft oil seal out and other seals it would be appreciated . I seen some you tube videos but they fail to show the whole process just bits and pieces.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:23 PM

Do you all think this timing belt jit I found on ebay is sufficient enough for lasting Long term http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1448694360185.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:47 PM

Do you all think this timing belt kit would be sufficient enough for the price http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1448694360185 .

Old 11-29-2015, 11:49 PM

Or should I go it a all oem Toyota brand parts kit instead. The price difference will be around 80.00 difference . I'm just wanting to make sure I put all quality parts the vehicle lasts long and I don't have to pull this engine apart again for a long time.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:04 PM

Old 11-30-2015, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

The bolt torque is approx 80 ft lbs, however some mechanics use an impact wrench to install it making removal difficult.

Must ask if you are trying to rotate the bolt the correct direction to loosen, which is CCW. The bolt is RH threads.

There are some options to removing the bolt.

One is to attach a 1/2 inch or larger heavy duty socket and breaker bar. With socket installed wedge the bar against the ground or chassis then turn ign to start. Before doing this, disable the ign to prevent the engine from starting. This seems to work but I don't recommend it.

The Toyota approach is to install a tool that bolts to the harmonic balancer face to prevent it from rotating. You can build one from a section of wood with holes in it to allow bolting to the pulley face and to access for the breaker bar extension. Make the board long enough then when bolted on, it will bind with the chassis or ground when the pulley rotates. Then can a LARGE breaker bar.

Don't use any tool that attaches to the outside of the pulley as it is a two piece assy bonded with a rubber material. The bond can fail if too much torque is applied to the outside part.

All brands listed in the ad are good brands and with supplying parts to Toyota. Toyota owns part of Aisin, the company. You will be OK with these parts.

Last edited by toyomoho; 11-30-2015 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:50 AM

Thanks toyomoho for the helpful information .

Old 12-03-2015, 09:18 PM

I did the one with the breaker bar wedged and turning the engine over recently...worked great for me....

Old 12-03-2015, 09:50 PM

Holy crap I just cannot get the f***ING crank bolt off I tryed a air gun with 90 psi it won't even move the bolt I tryed to wedge a steel punch in the pulley hole and used a bar to wedge against the Concrete and it's everything I pretty much got used a steel pipe on the breaker bar and didn't budge even a 1/4 inch but bent the steel punch like a question mark almost. I tryed drowning it in wd40 . Any other suggestions I'm practically pulling my hair out especially because I got all the new parts ready to install.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

Soak it in PB blaster, much better than WD.
Go full on impact wrench, skip the air ratchet. You can always try to heat it up with torch, just be careful of the flame.

Quick Reply: crankshaft bolt woes....