General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Declining mileage in a 2007 Camry 4 cyl...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:58 PM
Default Declining mileage in a 2007 Camry 4 cyl...

I've had this car since it was about a year and half old (Certified) and it's been a great car. I read in Consumer Reports that the 2007 had a problem with water pumps... and mine went out recently, at 60K miles.

Except for that it's been flawless, and I've been surprised that performance (pep) is as good as it is. (It's an XLE with a cloth interior which I prefer over leather.)

When I first got it I could regularly get almost 40 mpg (based on the onboard computer -- I understand it may be less, but I've never really bothered to check it's accuracy). Over the past year or two years apparent gas mileage both on the road and in town seems to have dropped (a high of 34-35 on the interstate, and low 20's around town.. It's been given all standard service at 5K mile intervals.

Would a new distributor cap*, plug wires, and plugs help improve mileage? (I don't think that's scheduled until around 100K?)

*I've only opened the hood on this car to check fluid levels -- everything has been done by Toyota or one service shop I trust. I don't really know if this car has a distributor cap... or something newer. (I used to do tune ups, etc., but the last several cars I've owned just didn't need them... or valve adjustments, etc. (The good and bad thing about the new cars -- mostly good...)

Last edited by WaltSherrill; 09-02-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Your car does not have a typical distributor, it's incorporated into the plug wire unit.
It would not hurt to check the plugs for wear and you are right about the 100k service interval.
Check tire pressure as well, etc.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the reply.

When I first wrote "distributor cap" I thought -- where is it?! That's why I said I didn't know whether it had one.

I'll check the plugs this weekend. But from reading many other discussions about gas mileage on this forum, while mine is seemingly down a bit, it seems to be doing reasonably well...

I like this car a lot, and plan to keep it until. (We also have a Lexus RX350...) The only car I'd rather have is a Camry Hybrid -- and that'll happen only if this one gets run into, etc. (and I make it out of that mess.)

I just wish Toyotas had more "road feel-feedback" while driving. I know the newer models (especially the F-Sport versions of Lexus models) are heading that way. That (and a crappy water pump) have been my only complaints about the Toyota ownership and driving experience.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Check MPG by computing using actual fuel burned and miles.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:19 PM

I'll try that starting with the next fill up.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by WaltSherrill
I've had this car since it was about a year and half old (Certified) and it's been a great car. I read in Consumer Reports that the 2007 had a problem with water pumps... and mine went out recently, at 60K miles.

Except for that it's been flawless, and I've been surprised that performance (pep) is as good as it is. (It's an XLE with a cloth interior which I prefer over leather.)

When I first got it I could regularly get almost 40 mpg (based on the onboard computer -- I understand it may be less, but I've never really bothered to check it's accuracy). Over the past year or two years apparent gas mileage both on the road and in town seems to have dropped (a high of 34-35 on the interstate, and low 20's around town.. It's been given all standard service at 5K mile intervals.

Would a new distributor cap*, plug wires, and plugs help improve mileage? (I don't think that's scheduled until around 100K?)

*I've only opened the hood on this car to check fluid levels -- everything has been done by Toyota or one service shop I trust. I don't really know if this car has a distributor cap... or something newer. (I used to do tune ups, etc., but the last several cars I've owned just didn't need them... or valve adjustments, etc. (The good and bad thing about the new cars -- mostly good...)
Theres no cap and rotor. The engine is DIS