General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-28-2015, 10:58 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Diagnostic code PO161 on '07 Camry. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Default Diagnostic code PO161 on '07 Camry. Help!

Hey All,

I have an 07 Camry that has about 68k miles on it. It just started throwing a PO161 diagnostic code, which if I understand correctly, is an O2 sensor on Bank 2 Sensor 2. I called the dealership and they said the part is going to run about $150 and then I'll have labor on top of that. Can this sensor easilly be changed? On a Camry, which sensor is bank 2 sensor 2? Can I get the sensor from a local auto store instead of the dealership?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Munky Puke

Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Bank 2 is the cylinder bank closest to the radiator (Bank 2). Each cylinder bank exhaust system has one sensor before the converter and one after. The second is Sensor 2.

Access to the sensor is from under the car. Remove the plastic shields under the engine. You will see two sensors, the one you want is the on the exhaust pipe coming from the front cylinder, not the rear cylinder.

The manual states the exhaust pipe needs to be removed to gain access to the sensor with a tool. Never done this job thus you will need to make this call.

You may need a special sensor socket or an offset open end wrench tool. An autopart store should sell these. The sensor is supposed to be torqued to 32 ft lbs. Don't use any lubricant on the threads.

Before replacing the sensor check the wiring for loose or damaged wires. An open or short circuit in the wiring to the sensor can also cause this code.

A local auto store should have something or may be able to order the part. However when buying a sensor, suggest Denso or Toyota brand sensors. At times other brands of sensor can cause problems when used in Toyota's.

Don't get a universal sensor (universal wiring), get a sensor wired to plug directly into the cars plug.

The Rockauto auto parts website should have a list of sensors for this car.

The website below sells Toyota parts at steep discounts. If calling identify yourself as an internet customers to get the discount prices.

http://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/